R&B songstress Fantasia Barrino (pictured) is hopping mad about the damage she feels the media is doing to her good name. Barrino is accusing the tabloids of making her out to be anti-gay marriage as a result of a comment she made via her Instagram account on Thursday, according to Billboard.
The homophobic brouhaha first got its legs when Barrino posted the following message on Instagram:
I Rise ABOVE IT ALL!!! THE WORLD IS GONE MAD. KIDS, THE GOVERMENT, THE church House… Everybody Trying!!!!!!! It’s a lot that going on that the Bible speaks about we should Not be doing. Weed legal in some places, Gay Marriage Legal BUT YET IM JUDGED!!! Im not doing Nothing for you… My Life!!!!
The singer says the media ran with the statement and painted her out to be a homophobe when she says she is not one at all. Barrino claims that she was merely venting about how unfairly she was being judged and that her words were misconstrued.
Barrino sought the help of her management team who then spun their damage control magic by releasing a statement in her defense:
Comments made by Ms. Barrino through her Instagram account were recently taken far out of context, and the purpose of this release is to set the record straight, read the statement.
Ms. Barrino is not now, nor has she ever been an opponent of the LGBT community. She has supported and performed at numerous events that are sponsored by the LGBT community. Whether it’s through a live performance or placement on social media, Ms. Barrino uses every opportunity to reach out and connect with her fans, all of her fans.
Barrino then made the decision to post yet another Instagram message late Thursday about the incident:
Now im VERY UPSET!!!! BUT ITS COOL!! IM NOT THE SAME GIRL I USE TO BE. IVE BEEN HURT ENOUGH. IM A Grown Women thats been Hurt Enough now. FOOLISHNESS!!!! I APOLOGIZE TO ALL MY LOVES, ALLLL MY GAYS, QUEENS AND FAB FRIENDS WHO’S SEEING THIS NONSENSE RIGHT NOW. HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THAT THEY HAVE TRASHED ME SINCE THE DAY I STEPPED ON THE IDOL STAGE? HAVEN’T YOU ALSO NOTICED THAT I STILL HAVE NOT STOPPED. TO MY GAY MANAGER( IM OVER SEEING YOU WORK SO HARD) THOSE WHO NO ME NO I DONT JUDGE ANY 1 AND THAT I JUST WANT THEM TO STOP TRYING TO JUDGE ME. TO ALL THE BLOGGERS AND NEWS STATIONS GOD BLESS YOU TOO!! CAUSE YOU NEVER SUPPORT MY GOOD YOU JUST REPORT THE BAD. I DONT CARE WHO GETS MARRIED OR WHO YOU LAY WITH, HANG WITH OR WANT TO BE LIKE. ITS YOUR LIFE LIVE IT. NOW GO AHEAD TAKE THIS AND TURN IT AROUND BUT IM STILL HERE CAUSE GOD PUT ME HERE. CHECK MY SPELLING AND MY GRAMMER* whatever you need to do* This is sad and im done with all this Media stuff .
What probably fueled the singer to go on her Instagram rant were all of the developments that led her to this point. Fantasia entered in to an affair with a married man, Antwaun Cook who also fathered her out-of-wedlock child. A few months later, she attempted suicide by overdosing on pills, after getting wind that Cook’s miffed wife was gunning to sue her over her alleged husband-stealing ways. Barrino’s illicit affair became fodder for the press and the tabloids and has not simmered down since.
1. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2015: Viola Davis Wins an Emmy for HTGWM
1 of 20
2. Top Black Pop Culture Moments of 2015: Misty Copeland’s “I Will, What I Want” Commercial
2 of 20
3. Top Black Pop Culture Moments of 2015: Zendaya and Amandla Read The Girls For Filth
3 of 20
4. Top Black Pop Culture Moments of 2015: The Year of The Black Cover Girl
4 of 20
5. Top Black Pop Culture Moments of 2015: Common and John Legend at the Oscars
5 of 20
6. Top Black Pop Culture Moments of 2015: Cicely Tyson Scratching Viola Davis’ Scalp on ‘HTGAWM’
6 of 20
7. Top Black Pop Culture Moments of 2015: Tristan Wilds in the Adele Video
7 of 20
8. Top Black Pop Culture Moments of 2015: Grace Jones’ AfroPunk Performance
8 of 20
9. Top Black Pop Culture Moments of 2015: Beyonce’s Met Gala Dress
9 of 20
10. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2015: The Throning of Queen Serena
10 of 20
11. Top Black Pop Culture Moments of 2015: Missy Elliot’s Super Bowl Halftime Performance
11 of 20
12. Top Black Pop Culture Moments of 2015: That Bill Cosby ‘EBONY’ Cover
12 of 20
13. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2015: Dem Patty Pies
13 of 20
14. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2015: The Rise of ‘Empire’
14 of 20
15. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2015: Drake Demolishes the Internet
15 of 20
16. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2015: “Miley, What’s Good?”
16 of 20
17. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2015: Ava DuVernay’s Barbie Sells Out in 17 Minutes
17 of 20
18. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2015: John Boyega Stays Drinking White Tears
18 of 20
19. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2015: Everything Black Twitter Did
19 of 20
20. Worst Moments In Pop Culture Moments Of 2015
20 of 20
Continue reading Fantasia Goes Up Against Media For ‘Anti-Gay’ Comments
Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2015
From <a href="http://hellobeautiful.com/2015/12/22/sandra-bland-family-non-indictment/" target="_blank"><strong>Sandra Bland</strong></a> to the shootings in <a href="http://hellobeautiful.com/2015/06/20/why-is-south-carolina-using-a-judge-in-the-charleston-church-massacre-who-has-used-the-n-word-before/" target="_blank">Charleston, South Carolina</a>, African Americans were sadly reminded that being <a href="http://hellobeautiful.com/2015/12/13/police-brutality-2015/" target="_blank">Black in America</a> is much harder than it ought to be. And yet in the same breath, 2015 was a year of Black joy during which our culture dominated not only in our lives, but in the mainstream consciousness. From <a href="http://hellobeautiful.com/2015/07/16/lee-daniels-and-taraji-p-henson-emmy-empire/" target="_blank">Cookie Lyons</a> to the <a href="http://hellobeautiful.com/2015/10/17/ebony-editor-comments-cosby-cover/" target="_blank">Cosby <em>Ebony </em>cover</a>, our brilliance helped to push the conversation, affirm our greatness, make history and most important, make us laugh.
So to celebrate that greatness, we put together this list of the most defining Black pop culture moments of 2015. And don’t worry: <a href="http://hellobeautiful.com/2015/12/08/rachel-dolezal-interview/" target="_blank">Rachel Dolezal </a>is nowhere to be seen.