Top Ten Videos to watch

Graduates tossing caps into the air
Freddie Gray Baltimore Protests
Mid section of man in graduation gown holding diploma
Legendary Baseball Player Tony Gwynn's Family Files A Lawsuit Against Big Tobacco
ME.jailhouse#2.0117.CW Montebello City Council has approved use of a private contractor to run the n
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Addresses Police Misconduct At Chicago City Council Meeting
WWII Soldiers Standing In A Flag Draped Sunset - SIlhouette
Students Taking a College Exam
Bill Cosby Preliminary Hearing
Hillary Clinton Campaigns In Louisville, Kentucky
Worried black businesswoman at desk
Tyler Perry And Soledad O'Brien Host Gala Honoring Bishop T.D. Jakes' 35 Years Of Ministry
Teacher with group of preschoolers sitting at table
FBI Officials Discuss Apprehension Of Explosions Suspect After Three-Day Manhunt
NFC Championship - San Francisco 49ers v Atlanta Falcons
Protests Erupt In Chicago After Video Of Police Shooting Of Teen Is Released
Nine Dead After Church Shooting In Charleston
Portrait of senior African woman holding money
President Bush Speals At Federalist Society's Gala
Police Line Tape
Senior Woman's Hands
Police officers running
New Orleans Residents Return to Housing Projects
David Banner
2010 Jazz Interlude Gala
Leave a comment


Cynthia Stamps-Jones (pictured) was arrested Friday, after being accused of not reporting the abuse of a 5-year-old child at the Clayton County, Ga., elementary school where she is employed as a counselor, according to Channel 2 Action News.

Reportedly, the Kings Elementary School educator said she made several attempts at contacting the Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS) to report the abuse but to no avail. The Board of Education employee, who is also a Riverdale councilwoman, claims that no one at the child services organization ever picked up the phone. Stamps-Jones’ attorney, Keith Martin, told Channel 2 Action News his client not only contacted her superiors at work but the school board office as well.

“She did on the morning of the 8th. The afternoon of the 8th. The morning of the 9th,” Martin said. “And ultimately, she called police on the morning of the 10th.”

Even though Stamps-Jones allegedly did try to cover all bases in seeking help for the young victim, her efforts were apparently not enough. According to Georgia law, any suspected child abuse must be reported within a 24-hour window. Clayton County schools spokesperson, Vicki Gavalas, contends, “You have to talk to somebody,” she told Channel 2 Action News.

According to Martin, Stamps-Jones’ followed protocol and her efforts were backed up. “Even in the warrant affidavits, it says she documented, took photographs and called (DFCS).”

Meanwhile, the county’s Board of Education is investigating the case further to determine who amongst their supervisory staff could have dropped the ball with regards to swiftly reporting the child abuse.

Also On News One: