From The Hill.com
Leading members of the Black Caucus are threatening to bring down healthcare reform if it does not include a strong public option.
Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) said that President Obama will not be able to muscle through a bill that sidesteps a government-run plan.
“[Obama] can’t get 218 without a public option,” Conyers said on MSNBC last night. “This is simple arithmetic.”
Conyers tallied up the progressive members he expects to join him in opposing a plan with no public option.
“There are 83 Progressive Caucus members, 42 Black Caucus members 25 Hispanic Caucus members, 14 Asian Pacific members, and most of them are public option people,” Conyers said.
Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) agreed with Conyers’s ominous analysis and warned that House liberals will not settle for the kind of compromise that might be necessary in the Senate.
“You’re asking whether or not we will support some other altnerative to public option, and I want to be very, very clear,” she told MSNBC’s Ed Schultz.
Read The Whole Story
Also On News One:
14 photos Launch gallery
1 of 14
1. Officials turn the Eiffel Tower lights off, as Paris goes dark following multiple terror attacks.
2 of 14
2. Victims lie on the ground after an attack on Rue Bichat in Central Paris.
3 of 14
3. A young woman cries at a vigil held by a local French community in Sydney.
4 of 14
4. A single rose following multiple terror attacks in the French city of Paris.
5 of 14
5. Players and officials have a moment of silence for victims during the Newcastle v. Central Coast round 6 A-league match.
6 of 14
6. Workers wash blood off of the floor outside of Le Carillon bar.
7 of 14
7. Workers wash blood off the floor outside of Le Carillon bar.
8 of 14
8. A woman sends her love.
9 of 14
9. Two friends hug in the wake of multiple terror attacks in Paris.
10 of 14
10. Residents leave flowers for victims and their loved ones.
11 of 14
11. At least 127 people were left dead following multiple terror attacks in Paris on Friday.
12 of 14
12. Residents leave flowers for victims and their loved ones.
13 of 14
13. Blood from the scene following the Bataclan Theatre attack.
14 of 14