Top Ten Videos to watch

Graduates tossing caps into the air
Freddie Gray Baltimore Protests
Mid section of man in graduation gown holding diploma
Legendary Baseball Player Tony Gwynn's Family Files A Lawsuit Against Big Tobacco
ME.jailhouse#2.0117.CW Montebello City Council has approved use of a private contractor to run the n
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Addresses Police Misconduct At Chicago City Council Meeting
WWII Soldiers Standing In A Flag Draped Sunset - SIlhouette
Students Taking a College Exam
Bill Cosby Preliminary Hearing
Hillary Clinton Campaigns In Louisville, Kentucky
Worried black businesswoman at desk
Tyler Perry And Soledad O'Brien Host Gala Honoring Bishop T.D. Jakes' 35 Years Of Ministry
Teacher with group of preschoolers sitting at table
FBI Officials Discuss Apprehension Of Explosions Suspect After Three-Day Manhunt
NFC Championship - San Francisco 49ers v Atlanta Falcons
Protests Erupt In Chicago After Video Of Police Shooting Of Teen Is Released
Nine Dead After Church Shooting In Charleston
Portrait of senior African woman holding money
President Bush Speals At Federalist Society's Gala
Police Line Tape
Senior Woman's Hands
Police officers running
New Orleans Residents Return to Housing Projects
David Banner
2010 Jazz Interlude Gala
Leave a comment

chicago parents markisha jones gene edwards homicideA young Chicago couple has been hit with homicide charges in the death of their 7-month old daughter, the Chicago Tribune reports.

SEE ALSO: A New NAACP President, What Now?

According to officials, Markisha Jones (pictured left), 19, and Gene Edwards (pictured right), 22, stopped giving their daughter formula two months before her death. Instead, they filled her bottle with water, cereal and baby food. When Edwards called paramedics to his home Jan. 8, little Mya was not breathing. She was pronounced dead on a dining room table. Prosecutors claim the girl was very skinny and so was her surviving sister.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office ruled Mya’s death a homicide from malnutrition. Assistant State Attorney Alyssa Grissom claims the two left their twins in a crib most of the time. The girls also stayed in “an unfinished basement which resembled a dungeon.” They remained there with a space heater, even though the parents were offered an upstairs bedroom. Edwards reportedly noticed Mya’ weight loss, but did nothing about it, Grissom added.

Neither child had undergone medical checkups since last summer, prosecutors added. Edwards and Jones had let their supplemental benefits in the Women, Infants and Children program expire as well.

Mya’s sister has been placed under foster care after a hospital stay. She has managed to gain weight and her health has reportedly improved.

Jones and Edwards were arrested Friday. The couple faces involuntary manslaughter and felony child endangerment charges. They are being held on $250,000 bail.

SEE ALSO: Obama Raps GOP For Focusing On Benghazi, Obamacare





Also On News One: