WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) — First lady Michelle Obama will add her voice to those honoring Dr. Maya Angelou at a memorial service for the poet and author this weekend.
The White House said Thursday that Mrs. Obama will deliver remarks at the event honoring Angelou on Saturday at Wake Forest University in Winston Salem, North Carolina.
Angelou died last week at her Winston-Salem home at age 86. She was known worldwide as a literary pioneer and civil rights champion.
Saturday’s service is closed to the public, but Wake Forest is streaming it online.
The school says Angelou’s family will be planning additional events in other cities across the country. That information will be released later.
Dr. Angelou Introduces Michelle Obama at a Women for Obama Rally
- 20 Facts You Didn’t Know About Maya Angelou
- Oprah Remembers Her First Meeting With Maya Angelou
- Maya Angelou: Activist and Pan Africanist
- India.Arie Shares How Maya Angelou Influenced Her
- Congressmen G.K. Butterfield and Charlie Rangel Reflect On Maya Angelou
- Maya Angelou On the Importance Of Speaking the Truth