The New York Daily News is reporting that Joan Tarshis published an essay Sunday on the Hollywood Elsewhere website accusing Cosby of raping her inside his bungalow at Universal Studio in Los Angeles when she was a 19-year-old aspiring actress.
Tarshis claimed Cosby assaulted her in the autumn of 1969 in his bungalow at Universal Studios in Los Angeles, where he was shooting “The Bill Cosby Show.”
She said one day Cosby asked her to stay to work on material with him. She said once in his bungalow, Cosby made her a “redeye,” a Bloody Mary topped with a beer.
“The next thing I remember was coming to on his couch while being undressed,” writes Tarshis, a journalist.
Tarshis claim comes amid a swirl of sex assault allegations against the comedian. On Sunday, his lawyer released a statement, saying the veteran comedian would not dignify “decade-old, discredited” claims of sexual abuse with a response.
The statement from John P. Schmitt represents the first comment from the 77-year-old comedian in a growing uproar over claims that he sexually assaulted several women in the past.
“Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced,” Schmitt writes. “The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment.”
The statement was released a day after Cosby refused to answer questions from National Public Radio host Scott Simon during an interview that aired Saturday with Cosby and his wife, Camille, about their African-American art collection. When asked about the allegations, Cosby fell silent, prompting the host to say, “You’re shaking your head, no. … Do you have any response to those charges? Shaking your head, no.”
Schmitt’s statement also comes after Cosby’s devastating #CosbyMeme shame and news that he canceled an appearance next week on The Late Show With David Letterman.
The sex assault allegations began to receive renewed attention last month after comedian Hannibal Buress blasted the comedian during a stand-up performance in Philadelphia, Pa., calling him a “rapist.” The routine was captured in a video recording that went viral.
By releasing the statement Sunday, Schmitt hoped to put an end to the swirl of speculation about his client.
“He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work,” the statement reads. “There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.”