This Black History Month has been one for the books. Ever since Beyonce kicked off the “Formation” movement, Black pride levels have been on tilt. To be Black and proud in 2016 feels so good.
Then the 2016 Grammy Awards happened.
Introduced by Don Cheadle, who will star as the legendary Miles Davis in an upcoming biopic, Kendrick Lamar dialed up the pride a million notches. The juxtaposition of the Grammy winner being shackled in handcuffs, while a saxophonist played behind bars, was so far from the usual stage performance we are so accustomed to seeing on an awards show stage. Every note, every bar had meaning and were chill- inducing, whether you stand with the Black Lives Matter movement, or you don’t quite understand it.
Whatever side you take, you couldn’t ignore it. Lamar has a way with awareness of the present and the past that’s enough for Black folks of all generations to throw up a fist with pride. Unapologetic and proud, K. dot’s performance outro bled with furious delivery: “Twenty twelve mistakes for the world to see/ Sent us back another 400 years/ This is modern day slavery…”
As some shifted in their seats, the rest of the Grammy audience was up on their feet with a stirring ovation.
Some kid, somewhere, is forever changed. When your favorite rapper looks like you, and reps you, and fights for you, the way N.W.A did in the ’90s, it sticks with you.
Watch the performance above.
SOURCE: Genius | PHOTO: Getty
Vanity, Prince Protege, Dies At 57
Red Carpet Rundown: 58th Annual Grammy Awards
RED CARPET RECAP: The 58th Annual Grammy Awards
24 photos Launch gallery
1. Wiz wore Chucks to the Grammys because, of course he would.
1 of 24
2. Sam Smith suited up!
2 of 24
3. Pharrell with his wife, Helen. Are you feeling his platinum blonde 'do?
3 of 24
4. Lady Gaga's David Bowie-inspired ensemble.
4 of 24
5. Janelle Monae in Jean Paul Gaultier.
5 of 24
6. Kendrick Lamar just won the first award of the night.
6 of 24
7. Justin Bieber walked the red carpet with his little brother.
7 of 24
8. How cute.
8 of 24
9. Fetty Wap cleans up nicely.
9 of 24
10. Chrissy Teigen definitely has the glow!
10 of 24
11. Ariana Grande in Romona Keveza.
11 of 24
12. Ciara and Russell Wilson are all smiles.
12 of 24
13 of 24
14. Tori Kelly rocking green.
14 of 24
15. Looking suave, Big Sean.
15 of 24
16. We can't wait for Adele's performance tonight.
16 of 24
17. We're here for this couple! The Weeknd and Bella Hadid
17 of 24
18. Faith Evans in classic black and white.
18 of 24
19. Are you feeling Zendaya's mullet?
19 of 24
20. Hello, Taylor!
20 of 24
21. Bestie goals?
21 of 24
22. Serving! We see you, Selena.
22 of 24
23. Giuliana Rancic glowing in gold.
23 of 24
24. Vanessa Simmons looks GORGEOUS.
24 of 24