There is a new school in Baltimore that uses video games to give disadvantaged students careers in video game development and design. They recently received news coverage for their efforts.
Here is a list of their objectives.
1. better prepare disadvantaged youth for college-level study in video game design and related fields such as computer science, digital art and engineering;
2. excite and inform disadvantaged youth about career alternatives in the video game design industry and related fields such as computer science, digital art and engineering;
3. instill in disadvantaged youth a positive self image and teach them teamwork, leadership skills, positive social interaction and good communication skills;
4. provide after-school and weekend activities that will keep disadvantaged youth engaged in productive activities; and
5. encourage related businesses and public organizations to support these efforts.