Top Ten Videos to watch

47th NAACP Image Awards Presented By TV One - Press Room
A Man Operating A Tv Camera
Maurice White
March2Justice
'News One Now' With Roland Martin Taping
Bill Cosby
Activists In Los Angeles Gather To Burn Likenesses Of The Confederate Flag
Flint Firebirds V Windsor Spitfires
CBC Message To America: Rep. Conyers Addresses The Damage Inflicted On Our Communities By Poverty, Mass Incarceration And Lack Of Economic Development
Iowa Caucus Ted Cruz
NewsOne Now NAACP Image Awards Preview
Student sitting at a desk in a classroom
Slavery Stock image
The 16th Annual Wall Street Project Gala Fundraising Reception
Ava DuVernay
Roland Martin Blasts Stacey Dash For Comments About BET, Black Networks
President Obama Delivers State Of The Union Address At U.S. Capitol
Ava DuVernay
2016 North American International Auto Show
Democratic National Committee Presidential Primary Debate
88th Oscars Nominations Announcement
Democratic debate
Dream Speech
GOP Presidential Candidates Debate In Charleston
US President Barack Obama speaks on the
24593149
2011 Winter TCA Tour - Day 5
LOS ANGELES, CA - FEBRUARY 18, 2015: Two wooden stand-in Oscar statuettes are ready to be taken on
Woman Holding Dollars - Isolated
Leave a comment

eric-holder-defends-closing-gitmo

Attorney General Eric Holder said on Wednesday that his department remains committed to closing the terrorist detention center at Guantanamo Bay and is still reviewing its decision to try the 9/11 plotters in the civilian court system.

But in speaking before the Senate Judiciary Committee during a routine oversight hearing for Justice Department activities, Holder did give hints that on both of these controversial decisions, criticism has taken its toll and changes may be in the offing.

Asked about the closure of Gitmo, Holder said it remained “the intention of this administration to close the facility.”

Click here to view photos of Black Politicians:

“There was and I still think is… bipartisan support for the notion that the Guantanamo facility should be closed,” he said. “It serves as recruiting tool for those who want to harm this nation. Both of the men who ran for pres last year supported the closing of Guantanamo as did President Obama‘s predecessor.”

RELATED: Eric Holder Pushes For War Against Hate Crimes

That said, Holder did recognized the challenges that both he and his department faced in achieving this long-sought objective. Money has not yet been appropriated for a replacement facility in upstate Illinois, and without a place to move the Gitmo detainees they simply couldn’t close Gitmo.

“One of the things we need is an alternative sight,” said Holder, of the facility at Thomson, Illinois. “We have to have an option and that will require congressional support for the funding requests we have made.”

Staying on the issue of detainees, Holder made a newsworthy admission that the Department of Justice had, indeed, identified 48 detainees who were “too dangerous to transfer but not feasible to prosecute.” These individuals would have to be imprisoned by the United States indefinitely. And there are serious legal arguments about whether that can be possible at a domestic facility.

Holder was pressed on another contentious topic confronting his administration: the decision to try Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and the other 9/11 plotters at a civilian court in New York. The White House, in recent weeks and months, has floated the possibility that they want to backtrack on the decision, preferring a military setting instead. Costs, indeed, are prohibitive, and there is limited support among local officials in New York.

Asked about the pending decision, Holder did not rule out that the trial could still be held in Manhattan.

RELATED: Eric Holder Pledges To Fight Youth Violence

“The administration is in the process of reviewing the decision of where KSM and his co-defendants should actually be tried,” he said. “New York is not off the table… though we have to take into consideration the concerns raised by both [local officials and security].”

A decision on this, he added would be made “in a number of weeks” — though the Justice Department has been operating off that time frame for well over a month now.

UPDATE: Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) apparently is not pleased that Holder continues to float the possibility that KSM and others will be tried in Manhattan. In a statement from his office, the New York Democrat said the following:

“We know the administration is not going to hold the trial in New York. They should just say it already.”