Top Ten Videos to watch

Spider Crash
Eric Garner Protests
Justice for Tamir sign held aloft. Stop Mass Incarcerations...
Kym Whitley
Pepsi Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
Donald Trump's 'Crippled America' Book Press Conference
US-CRIME-RACE-SHOOTING-PROTEST
New Hampshire Primaries
TV One At The 47th NAACP Image Awards
Donald Trump Holds Rally In Biloxi, Mississippi
Behind bars
47th NAACP Image Awards Presented By TV One - Press Room
A Man Operating A Tv Camera
Maurice White
March2Justice
'News One Now' With Roland Martin Taping
Bill Cosby
Activists In Los Angeles Gather To Burn Likenesses Of The Confederate Flag
Flint Firebirds V Windsor Spitfires
CBC Message To America: Rep. Conyers Addresses The Damage Inflicted On Our Communities By Poverty, Mass Incarceration And Lack Of Economic Development
Iowa Caucus Ted Cruz
NewsOne Now NAACP Image Awards Preview
Student sitting at a desk in a classroom
Rahm Emanuel Announces Police Accountability Task Force As CPD Chief Is Fired
Slavery Stock image
The 16th Annual Wall Street Project Gala Fundraising Reception
Ava DuVernay
Roland Martin Blasts Stacey Dash For Comments About BET, Black Networks
President Obama Delivers State Of The Union Address At U.S. Capitol
Leave a comment

695314491

Forty, 50, even 60 years later, Athens High and Industrial School and Burney-Harris High School alumni still remember their school song.

More than 100 of them sang it Saturday after unveiling a plaque marking the site of Georgia’s first high school for African Americans at what’s now a vacant lot at the corner of North Pope and Reese streets.

“We can’t bring the structure back,” said Charles Stroud, a 1957 graduate and the alumni association president. “That’s gone. But we can always remember our heritage.”

The building, torn down in the 1960s, dated to 1868, when it was the Knox Institute, a private school founded to educate freed slaves. The public Reese Street School, later Athens High and Industrial, moved into the building in 1933. Leading educator Samuel Harris, who some believe was the first African American to attend the University of Georgia, was principal until he died in 1935.

Text continues after gallery …

In 1957, when the city and county school districts combined, AHIS moved again to what is now the H.T. Edwards Building off Hancock Avenue and changed its name to Burney-Harris in 1964.

Burney-Harris consolidated with all-white Athens High to form Clarke Central High School when segregation ended in 1970.

Read entire article at OnlineAthens.com


RELATED:

TV One To Celebrate Black History Month By Tributing Cultural Classics

OPINION: Arizona’s Ethnic Studies Ban Whitewashes History


Meet Thurbert Baker, Georgia’s Gubernatorial Underdog