All too often we see celebrities, politicians, and corporations make tragic mistakes which offend or harm the people within the Black community.
From Dr. Laura Schlessinger’s “N-Word” rant to the murder of Oscar Grant; many of us are emotionally invested in these issues– Why not be the ones to decide if we accept or deny the apology?
I have compiled a list of 10 people have issued public apologies. After viewing the apologies, take the poll on whether you “ACCEPT” or “DENY” their apology, and share your thoughts on why you may think they deserve to be forgiven.
1. Dr. Laura Schlessinger’s N-Word Rant Apology
2. FOX New’s Mistake: President Obama’s and USDA Apology to Shirley Sherrod
3. Detective Marc Cooper, Sean Bell Murder Apology
- “I want to say sorry to the Bell family for the tragedy” Detective Marc Cooper was the only one of the three cops to apologize after being acquitted. “As we were sitting in court every day, he would be the only one who looked remorseful. So I accepted his apology,” Nicole Paultre Bell told Essence.com.
4. Don Imus “Nappy-Headed Hoes” Comment Apology
5. Officer Johannes Mehserle, Death of Oscar Grant Apology
- “Please try to get this message to the public: I don’t know what the jury in this case is going to decide, but I hope those who hate me and those who understand that I never intended to shoot Oscar Grant will listen to this message. I have and will continue to live everyday of my life knowing that Mr. Grant should not have been shot. I know a daughter has lost a father and a mother has lost a son. It saddens me knowing that my actions cost Mr. Grant his life, no words express how truly sorry I am. I hoped to talk to Ms. Johnson and Ms. Mesa in the days following this terrible event, but death threats toward my newly born son, my friends and family resulted in no communication occurring. I hope the day will come when anger will give way to a dialogue. For now, and forever I will live, breathe, sleep, and not sleep with the memory of Mr. Grant screaming “You shot me” and putting my hands on the bullet wound thinking the pressure would help while I kept telling him “You’ll be okay.” I tried to tell myself that maybe this shot would not be so serious, but I recall how sick I felt when Mr. Grant stopped talking, closed his eyes and seemed to change his breathing. I don’t expect that I can ever convince some individuals how sorry I am for the death of Mr. Grant, but I would not feel right if I didn’t explain my thoughts as I wait for a decision by the jury.”
6. Michael Richards, N-Word Rant Apology
7. Chris Brown’s Domestic Abuse Apology
8. Tiger Woods Infidelity Apology
9. Michael Vick Dog Fighting Apology
10. John Mayers ‘N-Word’ Statement Apology
Take Poll Now:
Text continues after gallery: