Two Men Allege They Were Beaten With Batons, Sue NYPD For $5M

Comments:  | Leave A Comment

DESK EMAIL

Two men say they were injured by NYPD cops indiscriminately swinging their batons after a wild shootout last month at a Harlem block party.

Devon Riley says he suffered a fractured elbow and Kirt Liburd a laceration to his head in the street-clearing chaos following a 46-shot fusillade by police.

Riley and Liburd have filed notices of claim seeking $5 million in damages, the first step in suing the city and the Police Department.

Text continues after gallery…

“Once again, we have innocent bystanders beaten indiscriminately by police with their nightsticks,” said their lawyer Sanford Rubenstein.

Riley, a maintenance worker for the Long Island Rail Road, and Liburd, a baker at Cosi restaurant in the East Village, heard a barrage of gunfire around the corner from 143rd St., where they were packing up food and sodas around 3 a.m. on Aug. 8.

They ran toward the sound of shots looking for a friend who was hanging out on Lenox Ave. and saw cops around the bodies of two wounded men on the pavement.

Rubenstein said cops charged at the onlookers, whacking them with their batons.

Read entire article at NYdailynews.com


RELATED:

Black Officer Talks Police Brutality, Racism In Interview

Oakland Police: Don’t Call, Report Crimes Online After Cutbacks

Join the Conversation! Share on Facebook!

Tags:

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,645 other followers