An overnight fire traps a teenager and two children inside a Chicago home. Jamaya Herron, 18, died at the scene. Firefighters rescued the other kids.
It seems a candle started a fire at 2206 Clover Avenue in Rockford just before 4:00 a.m. Monday. The two parents, Joe and Delores Herron, escaped. But when firefighters arrived, their daughter and foster kids were still inside a bedroom. Rescuers got the 2 boys out. It was too late for the teenage girl. Fannie Barbee, a relative of the family says, “She was very faithful in the church. Whenever I go over there, she was a really nice person.”
The Rockford Fire Department responded to the one story house. Jamaya Herron and her two younger foster brothers, ages 10 and 11, were trapped. Rescuers got to the boys through the window. They were flown to a hospital in Madison for severe smoke inhalation.
Text continues after Pictures of the week gallery:
Firefighters could not lift Jamaya through the window. Investigators say she weighed more than 500 pounds. Winnebago County Coroner Sue Fiduccia says, “That did hamper the fire department and fire rescuers from taking her out a window. They did have to bring her out the door and in doing that, two firefighters we’re actually injured.
Read entire article at WREX.com