1970 in the African-American psyche felt like many years prior: two steps forward and one step back. The struggle for equality was still underway as evidenced by Angela Davis’ arrest. But 1970 marked many firsts for African-Americans, including the first Black Pulitzer Prize winner, Charles Gordone, and the first Black contestant in the Miss American pageant, Cheryl Browne.
- Sharpton's Thanksgiving Request, With Brown, Garner and Gurley Kin [VIDEO]
- Full Ferguson Coverage Inside!
- Text NEWS to 71007 Get Breaking News Daily!
- NewsOne On TV One: Daily 9AM EST
- UPDATED: Cleveland Cops Release Video In Shooting Death Of 12-Year-Old [VIDEO]
- Judge Orders Halle Berry's Ex To Stop Straightening, Lightening Daughter's Hair