1970 in the African-American psyche felt like many years prior: two steps forward and one step back. The struggle for equality was still underway as evidenced by Angela Davis’ arrest. But 1970 marked many firsts for African-Americans, including the first Black Pulitzer Prize winner, Charles Gordone, and the first Black contestant in the Miss American pageant, Cheryl Browne.
- Text NEWS to 71007 Get Breaking News Daily!
- Tone Of Voice: Marcus Graham Project's iCR8 Boot Camp In Action [VIDEO]
- Florida Couples Can Be Arrested If Caught "Shacking Up"
- 'A Chosen Exile:' Examining African Americans Passing As White In America [VIDEO]
- NewsOne On TV One: Daily 9 AM EST
- Police Suspect Foul Play After Finding Burned Car of Missing Woman Denise L. Hart In Vermont