1970 in the African-American psyche felt like many years prior: two steps forward and one step back. The struggle for equality was still underway as evidenced by Angela Davis’ arrest. But 1970 marked many firsts for African-Americans, including the first Black Pulitzer Prize winner, Charles Gordone, and the first Black contestant in the Miss American pageant, Cheryl Browne.
- Deion Sanders' Ex Receives Jail Time For Violating Divorce Agreement
- NewsOne On TV One: Daily 9AM EST
- Text NEWS to 71007 Get Breaking News Daily!
- Roland Martin, White Delta Go In On VH1's "Sorority Sisters"
- Healthy Holiday Eating With Dr. Ro
- Samaria Rice Recounts Heartbreaking Decision After Son Tamir Was Shot By Cop [VIDEO]