1970 in the African-American psyche felt like many years prior: two steps forward and one step back. The struggle for equality was still underway as evidenced by Angela Davis’ arrest. But 1970 marked many firsts for African-Americans, including the first Black Pulitzer Prize winner, Charles Gordone, and the first Black contestant in the Miss American pageant, Cheryl Browne.
- Cleveland Cop Who Fired 49 of 137 Shot Barrage Killing Two Unarmed African Americans: Not Guilty
- The Retweet: Stop Using MLK Quotes -- Use Ronald Reagan Instead
- Text NEWS to 71007 Get Breaking News Daily!
- Listing Of Criminal Charges On Tamir Rice Incident Report Explained
- NewsOne On TV One: Daily 9 AM EST
- Mother Accepts Son's Diploma After He Dies In Prom Car Accident