Los Angeles — A Los Angeles judge has denied bail for a white former transit officer sentenced to two years in prison for fatally shooting an unarmed black man in Oakland last year.
Twenty-eight-old Johannes Mehserle sought to be released pending an appeal of his involuntary manslaughter conviction.
Superior Court Judge Robert Perry said Friday he didn’t think any of the arguments made by the defense met the legal standard for freeing Mehserle.
Mehserle was sentenced last month in the 2009 shooting of Oscar Grant during a disturbance on a Bay Area Rapid Transit platform in Oakland.
The trial was moved to Los Angeles because of intense media coverage and racial tensions.
With credit for time served, Mehserle could be eligible for release in about seven months.
The Oscar Grant Verdict: “Where Do We Go From Here?” [Podcast]
The Five Lessons Learned From The Oscar Grant Case
Share this post on Facebook! CLICK HERE:
Also On News One:
14 photos Launch gallery
1 of 14
1. Officials turn the Eiffel Tower lights off, as Paris goes dark following multiple terror attacks.
2 of 14
2. Victims lie on the ground after an attack on Rue Bichat in Central Paris.
3 of 14
3. A young woman cries at a vigil held by a local French community in Sydney.
4 of 14
4. A single rose following multiple terror attacks in the French city of Paris.
5 of 14
5. Players and officials have a moment of silence for victims during the Newcastle v. Central Coast round 6 A-league match.
6 of 14
6. Workers wash blood off of the floor outside of Le Carillon bar.
7 of 14
7. Workers wash blood off the floor outside of Le Carillon bar.
8 of 14
8. A woman sends her love.
9 of 14
9. Two friends hug in the wake of multiple terror attacks in Paris.
10 of 14
10. Residents leave flowers for victims and their loved ones.
11 of 14
11. At least 127 people were left dead following multiple terror attacks in Paris on Friday.
12 of 14
12. Residents leave flowers for victims and their loved ones.
13 of 14
13. Blood from the scene following the Bataclan Theatre attack.
14 of 14