The year 1972 saw the first Black female presidential candidate, Shirley Chisholm, mount a campaign that would have monumental effect thirty-six years later. Black electoral politics also took a huge step forward with representatives Andrew Young and Barbara Jordan becoming the first African-Americans to win House seats. In business, Jerome Holland was elected to the Board of Directors of the New York Stock Exchange. Maya Angelou, famed poet, produced and premiered the motion picture Georgia, Georgia as the first Black woman to do so.
- Don’t Miss The 2014 Trumpet Awards! [SNEAK PEEK]
- Look How Beautiful Nicki Minaj Is Without All That Makeup! [PHOTOS]
- Is A Breast Cancer Cure Finally On The Way?
- Casting For Aaliyah Biopic: Our Picks For The Cast!
- The Best Bold Lipsticks For All Shades Of Brown
- Tune In To "NewsOne Now" Weekdays At 9am EST On TV One