The history books have called 1973 the Year of the Mayor with four of the first African-American mayors of major cities taking office. Doris A. Day was the first woman of that group serving as mayor of Compton, California. Marian Edelman Wright started the progressive Children’s Defense Fund as a children’s rights advocacy group that would put a permanent stamp on American History. Eugene D. Jackson and Sidney Small found The National Black Network as a subsidiary of Unity Broadcasting in New York; it was the first Black-owned and operated national radio network.
- The Obamas Reveal Personal Struggles With Racism In America
- Deion Sanders' Ex Receives Jail Time For Violating Divorce Agreement
- NewsOne On TV One: Daily 9AM EST
- Text NEWS to 71007 Get Breaking News Daily!
- Roland Martin, White Delta Go In On VH1's "Sorority Sisters"
- Healthy Holiday Eating With Dr. Ro