The history books have called 1973 the Year of the Mayor with four of the first African-American mayors of major cities taking office. Doris A. Day was the first woman of that group serving as mayor of Compton, California. Marian Edelman Wright started the progressive Children’s Defense Fund as a children’s rights advocacy group that would put a permanent stamp on American History. Eugene D. Jackson and Sidney Small found The National Black Network as a subsidiary of Unity Broadcasting in New York; it was the first Black-owned and operated national radio network.
- EXCLUSIVE: NJ Teacher Suspended For Allowing 3rd Graders To Write Get-Well Letters To Mumia Abu-Jamal Says We Should Rethink "Leadership"
- NewsOne On TV One: Daily 9 AM EST
- News Outlets May Have To Pay $10,000 To Play Walter Scott Shooting Video
- March2Justice News Hub: Reports From The Road
- Text NEWS to 71007 Get Breaking News Daily!
- EXCLUSIVE: Family Of Man & 7 Children Who Died In Carbon Monoxide Accident Questions Landlord Over Stolen Meter