The history books have called 1973 the Year of the Mayor with four of the first African-American mayors of major cities taking office. Doris A. Day was the first woman of that group serving as mayor of Compton, California. Marian Edelman Wright started the progressive Children’s Defense Fund as a children’s rights advocacy group that would put a permanent stamp on American History. Eugene D. Jackson and Sidney Small found The National Black Network as a subsidiary of Unity Broadcasting in New York; it was the first Black-owned and operated national radio network.
- Overheard At CBCF: What Are Our Representatives, Activists, & Entrepreneurs Saying About Black Lives Matter?
- NewsOne Now With Roland Martin Moves To 7 ET/8 CT Starting 9/14
- The New & Returning TV Shows You Have To Watch This Fall
- NAACP: America's Journey For Justice March Nears Its End In Washington, D.C.
- Justice Or Else: Min. Louis Farrakhan Discusses How To End The Killing In Black Communities
- My Credit Score Is Bad - Can I Still Get A Loan?