The history books have called 1973 the Year of the Mayor with four of the first African-American mayors of major cities taking office. Doris A. Day was the first woman of that group serving as mayor of Compton, California. Marian Edelman Wright started the progressive Children’s Defense Fund as a children’s rights advocacy group that would put a permanent stamp on American History. Eugene D. Jackson and Sidney Small found The National Black Network as a subsidiary of Unity Broadcasting in New York; it was the first Black-owned and operated national radio network.
- Prez Obama Addresses Bias Against Young Black Men with “The Queen of YouTube,” GloZell
- Don't Miss The 46th NAACP Image Awards!
- Text NEWS to 71007 Get Breaking News Daily!
- #Ferguson Activist Tef Poe: We Had Little Faith In The DOJ And Federal Prosecutors
- NewsOne On TV One: Daily 9 AM EST
- Floyd Mayweather's Ex-Aide Writes Sensational Tell-All