The history books have called 1973 the Year of the Mayor with four of the first African-American mayors of major cities taking office. Doris A. Day was the first woman of that group serving as mayor of Compton, California. Marian Edelman Wright started the progressive Children’s Defense Fund as a children’s rights advocacy group that would put a permanent stamp on American History. Eugene D. Jackson and Sidney Small found The National Black Network as a subsidiary of Unity Broadcasting in New York; it was the first Black-owned and operated national radio network.
- Sharpton's Thanksgiving Request, With Brown, Garner and Gurley Kin [VIDEO]
- Full Ferguson Coverage Inside!
- Text NEWS to 71007 Get Breaking News Daily!
- NewsOne On TV One: Daily 9AM EST
- UPDATED: Cleveland Cops Release Video In Shooting Death Of 12-Year-Old [VIDEO]
- Judge Orders Halle Berry's Ex To Stop Straightening, Lightening Daughter's Hair