When Andre Hall, 40, showed up on Monday to continue preparing the house for his wife and kids, he found a backhoe sitting on top of it, reports the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
“My dream is done now,” Hall told the Tribune-Review. “Someone needs to man up and take responsibility for this.”
John Jennings, acting chief of Pittsburgh’s Bureau of Building Inspection, told the local paper that his department notified contractors P.J. Deller Inc. on Nov. 3 that the house no longer was slated for demolition.
“A couple things went awry,” Jennings said. “The house next door was to be demolished, and the contractor, in error, took this house down as well.”
Hall said the house had been empty for five years, but he planned to move in with his girlfriend and his children in just a few weeks, the Associated Press reports. The 1,613-square-foot home was assessed at $31,000, according to online Allegheny County property records.
The city solicitor’s office is reviewing the matter. A message left for the contractor was not immediately returned Wednesday.