NYC’s Democratic mayoral hopeful Bill de Blasio has made his family a focal point of his underdog campaign, and with good reason. de Blasio, his wife of nearly 20 years Chirlane McCray, and their children, 16-year-old Dante de Blasio and 18-year-old Chiara de Blasio, have given America a glimpse of itself that is usually obscured by a White power structure struggling to maintain a sense of supremacy.
Standing bold and loving before the nation, the progressive de Blasio family shatters long-held stereotypes about race, sexuality and interracial relationships. And they do it with no apology.
Running a surprise come-from-behind campaign, de Blasio’s folksy, endearing qualities are matched by his fiery commitment to ending legalized racial profiling in the form of New York’s controversial Stop and Frisk policies, and loosening the stranglehold that Wall Street has over the mayor’s office.
And though his quest to reform politics in NYC has caught the nation’s attention, it is his family that has captured our hearts.
Click through our gallery to see photos of the de Blasio family throughout the years.
- Fun Facts About The Wives Of The 2016 Presidential Candidates
- 16 Unforgettable Images By Harlem Artists [PHOTOS]
- 10 Exciting Artists For An Art World In “Flux”
- Brotherhood Sister/Sol Voices Gala
- Have Things Really Changed Since Dr. King Was Alive?
- Celebs Band Together To Boost Last-Minute Obamacare Enrollment