NEWSONE.com VOICES OF THE PEOPLE Giveaway
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
Last revised February 17, 2012
The NEWSONE.com Giveaway VOICES OF THE PEOPLE contest (“Contest”) will begin at 12:00 Noon on February 15, 2012 and end at 11:59pm February 24, 2012 (“Contest Period”). One (1) grand prize winner will be awarded the opportunity to be a “guest blogger” on NewsOne for one (1) week, which shall include the opportunity to publish at least two (2) original opinion pieces, approved and edited by the NewsOne team; and to have their winning essay discussed on the Rev. Al Sharpton radio show. Winner will also be awarded Twenty Five Dollars ($25) per published blog, and for the winning essay. In addition to the grand prize, the top five (5) entrants who receive the most votes (includes the grand prize winner) will each receive a Malcolm X movie BLU-RAY DVD.
HOW TO ENTER:
Legal residents of the U.S. who are 18 years of age or older will be able to take part in this Contest. To participate in the Contest, participants must do the following:
1. Go to Newsone.com and click on the Voices Of The People link. All essays must be received by 11:59pm EST on February 17, 2012 or they will be void.
2. In the online form provided, submit an essay of 350 words or less regarding a local or national African-American figure who has impacted your life and why.
3. Entrants acknowledge that, by submitting their essay, they give Interactive One, LLC ownership of such content in its entirety and the right to exploit, promote and publish that content without limit or restriction.
4. Submitted entries must be “family friendly” and appropriate for all audiences and must meet the below Entry Requirements.
5. Beginning February 18, 2012, NewsOne visitors will have the opportunity to read and vote for their favorite essay in by using the “U Pick Em” interface via the link on NewsOne.
6. On February 24th, the votes will be tallied and a winner declared on the web site and the winner notified via email.
7. One entry per person per day during the Contest Period.
8. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of a participant’s online entry, the entry will be deemed to have been made by the authorized holder of the e-mail account at the time the entry was made.
9. By uploading a submission and entering this Contest, each participant represents and warrants to be bound by the Official Contest rules, that he or she is authorized to and have the rights to submit the content in the entry, and that all of the below-listed requirements have been met.
• Essay must be 350 words or less in length
• Entries may not be patently offensive, illegal, pornographic or obscene, or similarly inappropriate in the NewsOne’s sole discretion
• Entries must not contain any profanity, obscene language, lewd or sexual content or references
• Submissions may not infringe upon any rights of any third party including without limitation, copyright, trademark and right of publicity or privacy
• Entries must be produced and solely owned by the contestant submitting the entry
• Entries must be unpublished and not have been submitted in other competitions
• Submissions must not contain: unnecessary violence, derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual or religious groups, humiliate other people (publicly or otherwise), or otherwise assault or threaten others
1. The Contest is open only to legal residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older at the time of Contest registration.
2. Employees of NewsOne.com, Radio One, Inc., Community Connect, Inc. or Interactive One, LLC (together “Company”), its officers, directors, subsidiaries, affiliates, general sponsors, promotional partners, their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, parent companies, members of the immediate families (defined as spouse, child, sibling, parent, or grandparent), and members of the households (whether related or not) of any of the above are NOT eligible to participate or win in this Contest.
3. Persons who have won a prize in another contest or promotion of any kind from Company within the thirty (30) day period immediately preceding the start date of this Contest are not eligible to participate. Only one person per family or household (whether related or not) may win in any promotion from Company during any thirty (30) day period.
4. Contestants agree to abide with any applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations.
1. Grand Prize package will include the following:
Grand Prize Winner will be awarded the opportunity to be a “guest blogger” on NewsOne for one (1) week, which will include the opportunity to publish at least two (2) original opinion pieces, edited by the NewsOne team and to have their winning essay discussed on the Rev. Al Sharpton radio show. One (1) Grand prize package will be awarded during the Contest Period. In addition to the grand prize, the top five (5) entrants who receive the most votes (includes the grand prize winner) will each receive a Malcolm X movie BLU-RAY DVD.
The “Guest Blogger” opportunity entails the winner the opportunity to submit two (2) original opinion pieces, approved and edited by the NewsOne team, and have them published on NewsOne. In order to have blogs published and claim cash prizes, winners must agree in writing to the terms and conditions of Interactive One, LLC’s blogging agreement and related contest release forms; and acknowledge that, by submitting their essay, they give InteractiveOne.com ownership of that content in its entirety and the right to exploit, promote and publish that content without limit or restriction.
2. If a winner is unable to accept the prize, the prize will be forfeited in its entirety.
3. No substitution of prize is offered, no transfer of prize to a third party is permitted and non-cash prizes may not be redeemed for cash value, except as determined by Company management and/or the sponsor in its sole discretion.
4. All Contest winners must sign and date official Company release and waiver forms as requested. Failure to do so will result in the winner’s forfeiture of the prize.
5. All cash prizes won will be awarded in the form of a check.
6. Company will award the prizes only upon winner verification and final approval. Each winner or selected entrant will be notified by email, mail and/or phone within five (5) days after being selected (e.g., date of drawing). Each winner or selected entrant will then have five (5) days to respond with their information. Company will then send prizes or prize-verification information via the U.S. Mail. If the winner or selected entrant is unable to be contacted within five (5) days after being selected (e.g. drawing date), is ineligible, fails to claim a prize or fails to return completed and executed release forms and affidavits, if applicable and as required by Company, or if the prize notification or prize is returned undeliverable, that prize will be forfeited and an alternate entrant will be selected. If the winner is a minor (under the age of eighteen (18)), all release forms and affidavits must be signed by the winner’s parent or legal guardian.
1. During the Contest Period, eligible participants will be encouraged to take part in the Contest by registering online at NEWSONE.com and submitting an essay of 350 words or less regarding a local or national African-American figure who has impacted their life and why. After completing the registration process, entrants will be qualified for a chance to win the prize.
2. Entries will be posted online for public voting.
3. The voting period will take place from February 18, 2012 until 11:59pm EST on February 24, 2012. The contestant with the most votes will be declared a winner. In the event of a tie, NewsOne staff will select a winner.
3. The winner will be notified by email and provided with instructions for claiming the prize.
4. All decisions made by Company management regarding any aspect of this Contest are final.
1. Winners are responsible for all applicable taxes associated with the receipt of the prize (prizes are not transferable and may not be exchanged).
2. Any person winning over $600.00 in prizes will receive an IRS form 1099 at the end of the calendar year for tax purposes and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS as required by law.
3. No purchase necessary. Contest is void where prohibited. Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations.
4. Odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible contestants participating during the Contest Period.
5. By participating in the Contest, the winner or winners agree to have their name, voice, or likeness used in any advertising or broadcasting material relating to this Contest, in any media now known or hereafter devised for advertising or promotional purposes without additional compensation, and must sign a publicity release prior to acceptance of the prize. By entering this Contest, each participant agrees to comply with these Official Contest Rules and the decisions of the Contest sponsor which shall be final and binding in all aspects relating to the Contest.
6. Company retains the right to disqualify any contestant if all contest rules are not followed.
7. All Contest winners will be required to sign a liability release prior to acceptance of any prize. Pursuant to the liability release, the winner or winners will agree to hold Company, any other Contest parties and each of their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies, officers, shareholders, directors, employees, agents and representatives of each of the foregoing, harmless against any and all claims or liability, directly or indirectly related to or arising from or in connection with Contest participation or the acceptance, possession or use / misuse of any awarded prize or any portion thereof, or participation in prize-related activities, including but not limited to any related travel.
8. By accepting the prize, the winner acknowledges that Company has neither made, nor is in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prize or to any portion thereof, including but not limited to its quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose.
9. Any information collected by registering to enter the Contest shall be used only in a manner consistent with these Official Contest Rules.
10. Company, participating sponsors and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates or their representatives, agents and employees are not responsible for the inability of any contestant to complete or continue an internet registration due to equipment malfunction, busy lines, inadvertent disconnections, unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP) or other connections, communication failures or human error that may occur in the transmission, receipt or processing of entries, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer arising from or relating to participation in this Promotion,. In addition, Company, participating sponsors and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates or their representatives, agents and employees are not responsible for late, postage due, lost, misdirected, mutilated, illegible or incomplete contest entries. No mechanically reproduced or automated entries permitted. Entry materials/data that have been tampered with or altered are void. Once submitted, entries become the property of Company and will not be returned.
11. If for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including without limitation, any suspected evidence of tampering or technological corruption or if any portion of the promotion is compromised by virus, bugs, worms or unauthorized human intervention, fraud, acts of God, strikes, terrorists acts, criminal acts of third parties, an insufficient number of qualified contest entries, or any other causes beyond Company’s control which, in the Company’s sole opinion, corrupts, threatens or impairs the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Company reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest at its sole discretion.
12. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be in violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Company reserves the right to seek remedies and damages (including attorney’s fees) from any such entrant to the fullest extent of the law, including criminal prosecution.
13. To receive the name of the winner, send a self-addressed stamped envelope for receipt to: NEWSONE GIVEAWAYS, c/o INTERACTIVE ONE, LLC, 850 Third Avenue, Third Floor, New York, NY 10022, ATTN: VOICES OF THE PEOPLE COORDINATOR