UPDATE: U.S. Attorney To Hold Press Conference On Kendrick Johnson Case

Comments:  | Leave A Comment

Kendrick Johnson surveillance video

UPDATED 10/30/13, 10:52 p.m. EST:

Michael Moore, the U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Georgia, is scheduled to hold a press conference on Thursday, October 31, to discuss the death of Kendrick Johnson, reports CNN.

This will be Moore’s first public statement since saying that he would review the case and weigh all the information.

The news conference is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET Thursday.

——————————————————————————————

UPDATED 10/30/13, 3:47 p.m. EST: In a phone call with Kendrick Johnson family lawyer Benjamin Crump, NewsOne confirmed that part of the surveillance video that reportedly captured Kendrick‘s final moments was released to Crump and the Johnson family Wednesday afternoon.

Speaking on the importance of the video release, Crump said, “We think that today was not just a big victory for the Johnson family, but for the whole community, for all those people who stood on the street corner with signs, saying they want justice for Kendrick Johnson.”

More From 11Alive:

A south Georgia judge has ruled that video taken in the Lowndes High School gym on the day Kendrick Johnson died will be released.

The ruling came after a meeting in Judge Harry Altman’s chambers among the judge and attorneys for Johnson’s parents, the local sheriff’s office and the Lowndes County School District.

Crump also said that he “feels good” about the upcoming ruling the judge will make on Monday, regarding a coroner’s inquest into Kendrick’s death.

NewsOne will keep you updated on this developing story.

_______________________________________________________________________

Today on “NewsOne Now” with Roland Martin, attorney Benjamin Crump shared the latest developments in the death investigation of Kendrick Johnson. New evidence has emerged that shows the teen was not alone in the high school gymnasium where he died.

Although authorities have denied repeated requests by the parents to view the gymnasium surveillance video, a school official told CNN that other minors were in the gymnasium within 10 minutes of Johnson entering. The school is still refusing to release the recording, on the grounds that state law exempts the release of “education records of a minor child.”

As reported previously, Johnson’s death was determined to be an accident after his body was found inside a rolled up gym mat. The coroner determined that he died of positional asphyxiation, but a second independent autopsy by the family contradicts that ruling by finding signs of blunt force trauma to the neck. Prior to the second autopsy, organs were found missing and the teen’s body was stuffed with newspaper.

Attorneys for the family are filing a motion to ask the judge to hold a coroner’s inquest to change the manner of death, Crump told Martin this morning. If that is done, an investigation will have to follow, he explained.

As for the news that others were present in the gymnasium where Johnson died, Crump responded, “Blur out the faces of the children if you want to protect their identities, but we’ve got to see the video.” Hear the full interview below, and be sure to tune in to “NewsOne Now” with Roland Martin weekdays at 10 am!

Join the Conversation! Share on Facebook!

Tags: » » » » » »

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,464 other followers