NewsOne Featured Video

UPDATE: April 2, 2012 — 8:37 P.M. EST:

More details continue to emerge surrounding the death of 18-year-old Ervin Jefferson.

When Jefferson, his mother, Candy Grimes, and sister Precious, 17, pulled into their driveway they noticed two cars parked in front of their home. Once they parked, Jefferson got out of the car and approached to find out why they were there. His sister claims — and police confirm — that the 4 young women in one car were there to confront Precious. The security guards were sitting in another car. As Jefferson moved closer to the car, he was shot in the chest.

His step-father, Bobby Hubbard Jr., 35, was also arrested and charged with “reckless conduct and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon” and is still being held, reports the Atlanta Journal Constitution. This, after he returned fire at the security guards.

Both security guards,  Gary Jackson, 26, and Curtis Scott, 25, are legally licensed to work as armed security guards with Shepperson Security & Escort Services in Kennesaw, Georgia. Both were arrested — and subsequently released — for impersonating police officers and illegally detaining the women.

Scott, the guard that actually pulled the trigger, has not been charged with the shooting, but authorities continue to investigate.


UPDATE: March 26, 2012 — 10:27 P.M. EST:

Curtis Scott, 25, and Gary Jackson, 26, were charged with impersonating  police officers on the night that 18-year-old Ervin Jefferson was killed outside of his home in Dekalb County, GA, reports the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

The private security guards allegedly detained women at the scene of the shooting by telling them that they were officers. According to reports they were fired upon from Ervin’s residence by his step-father, Bobby Hubbard Jr., 35, was also arrested and charged with “reckless conduct and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon,” reports the AJC.

‘LIKE’ NewsOne’s FB Page To Stay Up On Black News From Around The World

Ervin was shot by Scott — who called 911 at approximately 10:29 p.m. to say that he was being fired upon — as he approached the car containing the women who, he believed, were coming to fight his younger sister. Investigators have confirmed that is why the women were there, reports

Though Ervin’s mother, Candy Grimes, claimed that she saw her son being run over by a car after he was shot, DeKalb County Public Safety Director William Miller, says that Ervin crawled under the car after he was shot once in the chest, according to autopsy results.

Though it is unclear if Scott and Jackson are registered to carry firearms, Miller says that so far it seems as if they were within their rights to kill Ervin:

If their lives are being threatened, they have a right to respond appropriately.”


UPDATE: 3:22 A.M. EST:

When asked by 11Alive’s Jon Shirek who she believed shot and killed her son, Ervin Jefferson, Candy Grimes says that he was trying to protect his family, specifically his younger sister, when he was murdered.

We heard gunshots,” Grimes said in tears. “I seen the dude in the green shirt shoot my son. I seen the guy, he had two hands, and he shot my son.”

Grimes says that after her son was shot, someone ran him over with a car:

By the time I got down there, the car was on top of my son. He was literally under the car. One of them shot him, and one of them ran over him. It’s two of y’all. He’s little. He little. Why y’all just didn’t beat him up, jump on him, why you just didn’t fight him, why you have to shoot him? I just want justice. That’s all I want, I just want justice. He was trying to protect us.”

Dekalb County police confirmed that two private security guards shot and killed Ervin Saturday night after responding to a disturbance outside of his home. They were supposed to be securing the premises of The Village at Wesley Chapel, an apartment complex near the family’s home on Pleasantwood Drive and Wesley Chapel Road.

Authorities released the following statement:

DeKalb Police responded to a Person Shot at the incident location. The responding officers located the victim suffering a gunshot wound to the torso. The victim was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The on scene investigation revealed the victim was shot by security guards who were checking out a suspicious vehicle. The investigation is on-going at this time.

Any follow up related to this incident can be obtained by the PIO during normal business hours.

It is unknown at this time if the guards, who remain unnamed, have been arrested.

Ervin, 18, was the father of a baby girl.


Dekalb County, Georgia teen, Ervin Jefferson,  18, was allegedly shot and killed outside of his home by security guards who claimed that Jefferson was walking towards them “aggressively,” reports WSB-TV.

The guards were on duty at nearby Wesley Chapel Apartments and told police they heard gunfire around 10:30 p.m. Saturday night while checking out a suspicious car. The spotted Jefferson leaving his home, allegedly “making threats to kill” while walking towards them, so they drew their weapon and shot Jefferson in the chest, according to police.

After allegedly hearing more gunfire come from the home the guards — who have not been named — decided to run back to the apartment complex they were supposed to be securing and met police.

In a twist, Jefferson’s family claim that the security guards did not kill him, according to WSB-TV, and if they did, they’re lying about exactly what happened because there was a car covering the teen.

“For one thing, the car was completely on top of him covered,” Jefferson’s uncle, Dana Davis said.  “His whole body was covered.  We have yet to see his body.  No body.”

Family members say that Jefferson was unarmed.

This story is still developing. Please check back with Newsone for updates.


Geraldo Rivera Implies Trayvon Matin Caused His Own Death

Miami Heat Don Hoodies For Trayvon Martin

More from NewsOne