The Flint, Mich., native slugged her way to a 19-12 victory over Russia’s Nadezda Torlopova. Though she has only been on the international fight scene for less than two years, Shields is on her way to stardom. To help you become acquainted with this rising star, NewsOne has provided some quick facts you may not have known about this rising phenom.
1) Heading into the Olympic trials in Spokane, Wash., Shields had a 19-0 record. [Source: NPR.com]
2) Shields was once nicknamed the “16-year-old sensation.” [Source: NPR.com]
7) Shields has cited legendary boxer Sugar Ray Robinson as her greatest inspiration. [Source: Detroit Free Press]
8) After her father was released from prison, Shields would accompany him when he trained at Berston Field House in Flint. Here, Shields first fell in love with boxing and began her training. [Source: Spiegel Online.com]
Watch Claressa Shields during a training session:
9) Jason Crutchfield, who trained Shields, also acts as a father figure to help keep her on track. [Source: Spiegel Online.com]
10) Shields’s successful gold medal bout was shown on a large screen in Flint Northwestern High School’s auditorium. [Source: Detroit Free Press]