NewsOne Featured Video

Just three days after he was given the boot by the New York Giants, linebacker Michael Boley (pictured) allegedly turned himself over to Alabama police Feb. 8 and was charged with child abuse, according to TMZ.

SEE ALSO: Kiera Wilmot’s School Expulsion Is Racist

He was released later that day. The entire incident involved no fanfare.

Boley, who was a starting linebacker in Super Bowl XLVI, had remained under the radar of Alabama authorities as a result of an incident involving his then 5-year-old son nearly two years ago. The details of Boley’s case with regards to his son are sketchy.

SEE ALSO: UPDATE: Kris Kross Rapper, Chris ‘Mac Daddy’ Kelly, Dead At 34 From Suspected Drug Overdose [VIDEO]

Reportedly, there were no allegations of sexual abuse, although physical abuse claims might have been at the center of the investigation.

The 30-year-old free agent reportedly struck a plea deal with authorities in Etowah County, Ala., that would allow him to plead guilty, enter a pretrial diversion program and then have the charges dropped upon completion, states TMZ.

SEE ALSO: Inventor And Engineer Elijah McCoy Born On This Day In 1844

Boley’s latest legal woes are reminiscent of a previous accusation back in 2011 of child abuse that was alleged by the mother of his son. It was alleged that Boley was guilty of “the repeated willful abuse of a child under 18 from May 30 to June 5” of that year. The case was investigated by police in Gadsden, Ala., who afterwards turned the case over to the district attorney.

It is not clear whether Boley’s current charges are related to the 2011 allegations.

After the 2011 allegations came to light, another of Boley’s baby mamas revealed in Georgia court documents that she wanted her then 2-year-old son to be supervised during visits with his dad.

Signed to a $25 million contract back in 2009 with the Giants, the team reportedly knew of Boley’s skirmishes with the law. Just one year before he signed with the team, Boley was arrested in Gwinett County, Ga., for allegedly beating up his wife, Chantelle. While the case was not pursued by the prosecutor, the Giants suspended him for the first game of 2009 for breaking the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy.

There were rumblings that the Giants might resign Boley, but that ship has probably sailed now.

More from NewsOne