Governor Romney (R)
• Work with Congress to repeal and replace “Obamacare.”
• Limit role of federal government in managing the health care markets. Encourage competition among insurance companies.
• Consumers can get insurance through their employer or buy on the open market. Ideas include individual purchasing pools.
• Would promote high-deductible insurance plans with lower premiums but higher out-of-pocket costs.
• Allow consumers to buy insurance across state lines.
• Offer tax breaks to consumers who get insurance on the open market instead of through their employer.
• Allow health savings accounts to be used for insurance premiums.
• Protect people with pre-existing conditions who maintain continuous coverage as provided under current law.
• Cap damages in medical malpractice lawsuits.
• Allow individuals and businesses to create pools to buy insurance.
The 2012 Presidential Election: You’re Voting On Your Health was originally published on blackdoctor.org