NewsOne Featured Video

One week after being critically injured during an arrest by Baltimore police, 25-year-old Freddie Gray has diedaccording to family members and a hospital spokesperson.


23-Year-Old Shot And Killed By St. Louis County Police After His Mom Calls For Help [VIDEO]

Ben Affleck Had Ancestor’s Slave Owning Past Scrubbed From PBS Show, “Finding Your Roots”

On April 12, 2015, Gray was apprehended by police at 8:40 a.m. According to a Baltimore Police timeline, at 8:54 a.m. Gray was put in additional restrains inside the van. And at 9:24 a.m., an ambulance was called to the Western District police station to take him to the hospital, reports CBS Baltimore.

See arrest video above. TRIGGER WARNING: Police Brutality.

Chanting, “No justice, no peace, we don’t need you on our streets,” hundreds of protesters convened in front of the Baltimore police station over the past week demanding answers about what really happened to Freddie Gray. Police still have not specified what led to the initial arrest.

“We had officers in a high-crime area known to have high narcotic incidents,” said Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez.“The officers believe that Mr. Gray was immediately involved or recently involved in criminal activity and decided to make contact.”

William “Billy” Murphy Jr., the attorney for the Gray family released the following statement:

On last Sunday morning at about 8am, the police chased Freddie Gray, a 27 year old healthy man, without any evidence he had committed a crime. His take-down and arrest without probable cause occurred under a police video camera, which taped everything including the police dragging and throwing Freddy into a police vehicle while he screamed in pain. While in police custody, his spine was 80 percent severed at his neck. He lapsed into a coma, died, was resuscitated, stayed in a coma and on Monday, underwent extensive surgery at Shock Trauma to save his life. He clung to life for seven days and died today at approximately 7am. We believe the police are keeping the circumstances of Freddie’s death secret until they develop a version of events that will absolve them of all responsibility. However, his family and the citizens of Baltimore deserve to know the real truth; and we will not stop until we get justice for Freddie.

Baltimore mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and Police Commissioner Anthony Batts held a joint press conference Sunday afternoon promising a thorough and fair investigation:

Commissioner Batts and the police department are moving very swiftly to complete this investigation as soon as possible. We’re committed to transparency and we will release additional details as we complete the investigation,” she said. “I understand the frustrations of the community. I take very seriously the obligation of transparency. However, we also have to balance that with our responsibility to ensure a proper and thorough investigation. Therefore, we have to move forward in a responsible way to determine all the facts of this investigation so we can provide our community with the real answers. I will ensure that we hold the right people responsible.

According to Rodriguez, a two-part criminal investigation is underway, reports the Associated Press. One part of the investigation is pertaining to Gray’s arrest and the other part is to determine whether criminal charges will be filed against the officers involved.