On Sunday, French authorities arrested an Albanian couple believed to be in connection with the Nice, France, terror attacks that killed 84 people last week, CNN reports.
The driver of the van, Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, was shot dead after he crashed his van into a large crowd of people who were celebrating Bastille Day.
Agnes Thibault Lecuivre, a spokeswoman for the anti-terrorism prosecutor, did not provide details on the couple’s connection to the terror attack or their names. It’s also being reported that authorities have a total of six people in custody, including Bouhlel’s estranged wife, who they suspect was working with Bouhlel. Yet, the wife’s lawyers claim the two hadn’t been in contact with each other in a while because they were in the middle of divorce proceedings, CNN noted.
Although ISIS claimed responsibility for last week’s attack, French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said the link between the driver of the truck and the terrorist group “has yet to be established.”
Cazeneuve told RTL France that while ISIS has claimed responsibility for last week’s truck rampage, which he called an attack “of a terrorist nature,” it remained to be seen exactly how the attacker, Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, was connected to the Iraq and Syria-based jihadist group.
“What we want to know now is what were the links between the man who was behind this dreadful attack and the terrorist networks,” Cazeneuve said.
According to CNN, about 85 people are still hospitalized, with 29 patients in intensive care in the wake of Thursday’s attack.
SOURCE: CNN | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Twitter