Michael Jordan is trying to make up for the years people said he’s done nothing for the African-American community.
Following his generous contributions of $1 million to the Institute for Community-Police Relations and $1 million to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the NBA legend is doing a lot more sharing these days. According to reports, MJ has donated $5 million to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture.
Museum officials revealed that the gift is the largest from a sports figure to the 19th Smithsonian museum and pushes private donations to $278 million. Including federal aid, the museum, which President Obama will open in September, has raised more than $548 million.
The sneaker aficionado said in a statement, “I am grateful for the opportunity to support this museum. I also am indebted to the historic contributions of community leaders and athletes such as Jesse Owens, whose talent, commitment and perseverance broke racial barriers and laid the groundwork for the successful careers of so many African Americans in athletics and beyond.”
Jordan also gifted a jersey he wore during the 1996 NBA Finals to the museum’s permanent collection, which will be highlighted in the inaugural exhibition featuring artifacts associated with 17 “game-changing” athletes, including the former Chicago Bulls legend.
SOURCE: Washington Post | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
PHOTOS: Simone Biles & The USA Gymnastics Team Fly Into First Place
1. Simone BilesSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Simone BilesSource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Simone BilesSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Laurie HernandezSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Laurie HernandezSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Simone BilesSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Simone BilesSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Laurie HernandezSource:Getty 8 of 14
9. Laurie HernandezSource:Getty 9 of 14
10. Simone BilesSource:Getty 10 of 14
11. Simone BilesSource:Getty 11 of 14
12. Simone BilesSource:Getty 12 of 14
13. Alexandra RaismanSource:Getty 13 of 14
14. Alexandra RaismanSource:Getty 14 of 14
Michael Jordan Donates $5 Million To African-American Museum was originally published on globalgrind.com