Hugh Hefner, who transformed Playboy magazine in a sprawling media empire, died on Wednesday at his home, the Playboy Mansion near Beverly Hills, California, Playboy Enterprises announced in a news release. He was 91. He died of natural causes and was surrounded by loved ones.
RELATED: Comedy Legend And Civil Rights Activist Dick Gregory Dies
Twitter users bid farewell to the icon Wednesday night, with some noting that the magazine played a pivotal role in the civil rights movement.
Megyn Kelly’s Debut Bombs
How Will The NCAA Punish Rick Pitino? Black Coach Todd Bozeman Was Banned For 8 Years
This Is What Puerto Rico Looks Like After Hurricane Maria
10 photos Launch gallery
1. Fajardo, PR: A woman pulls a trash can past a destroyed home.
1 of 10
2. Fajardo, PR: A coin weighing scale lies between debris from a destroyed bar.
2 of 10
3. San Juan, PR: Residents walk past damaged homes following Hurricane Maria.
3 of 10
4. San Juan, PR: A thick tree completely raised from the ground.
4 of 10
5. San Juan, PR: Cars cross flooded waters on a bridge.
5 of 10
6. Fajardo, PR: A damaged sail boat washed ashore following Hurricane Maria.
6 of 10
7. San Juan, PR: Residents begin the recovery process after Hurricane Maria damaged their homes.
7 of 10
8. San Juan, PR: A neighborhood flooded and devastated by the storm.
8 of 10
9. Luquillo, PR: Concrete power line poles lie on a highway.
9 of 10
10. San Juan, PR: Flooded streets devastate the island.
10 of 10
Hugh Hefner, Playboy Founder, Dies At 91 was originally published on globalgrind.com