Though soul music is a genre that is applicable to Black music culture, it isn’t exclusive to singers of color. White soul singers have made a tremendous impact in soul and can croon like the best of them.
Video of Amy Winehouse doing what she did best:
Here are 9 other white girls with an unmistakable Black voice:
1. Janis Joplin–She’s one of the original blue-eyed soul singers. At the height of her career she was known as The Queen of Psychedelic Soul. Rolling Stone magazine ranked Joplin number 46 on its list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time in 2004, and number 28 on its 2008 list of 100 Greatest Singers of All Time.
2. Teena Marie–Who can forget the inimitable Teena Marie? Known as the Ivory Queen of Soul, Marie had an undeniable impact in Soul music. The music industry was deeply scarred when the soul singer died in December of 2010. Aside from her unmatchable range, Marie played rhythm guitar, keyboard and congas. She is most known for her work, such as “Fire and Desire” with her mentor and collaborator, the late Rick James.
5. Joss Stone–Joss Stone is the epitome of blue-eyed soul. At the tender age of 16, she burst into the music scene, and hasn’t looked back ever since. While she is a music sensation both in the U.S. and overseas, her first three albums have sold about 2.2 million records in the U.S. alone.
6. Pink–Though she’s now a punk rock artist, Pink originally splashed into the industry as an R&B artist. She instantly became a star. Though she’s rough around the edges, her voice is undeniably soul to the core.
7. JoJo–JoJo is of the youngest generation of white soul singers. Not only was she the only white girl signed at 16 to Interscope records, but she possessed a voice that far exceeded expectations. To date she has sold over 2 million copies, and her voice is continuously maturing. The other blue-eyed soul singers better watch out.
9. Kelly Clarkson–One of the biggest acts to come out of American Idol, Kelly Clarkson has one of the most powerful voices in music. Though she is a pop artist, Clarkson’s chops are indisputably akin to the blue-eyed soul lineage. She has won 2 Grammy’s and has sold over 12 million records worldwide.