Flesh Eating Bacteria Kills South Carolina Man

Comments: 2  | Leave A Comment

flesh eating bateria anthony hillsAnthony Hills (pictured), a 55-year-old Charleston, S.C., man, died from flesh eating bacteria, WCSC reports.

SEE ALSO: Grandpa Says 27-Year-Old Lover Tricked Him Into Buying Her A Condo

The bacteria started in his right arm and right leg. Hills’ family says that he had a swollen arm and that he complained of not feeling well before being taken to a local hospital on Saturday. Doctors amputated his right arm and were considering amputating his right leg.

Hills died hours after being admitted.

Want to Keep Up With NewsOne.com? LIKE Us On Facebook!

South Carolina has had other confirmed cases of flesh-eating bacteria besides Hills’, according to WCSC:

In mid-June Roper St. Francis officials confirmed an adult male was admitted to the hospital. His status is unknown.

In early May, a mother in the Upstate contracted the bacteria after her twins were born. Lana Kuykendall underwent 20 surgical procedures to stop the spread of the bacteria. Her treatment required aggressive surgical intervention, but no amputations.

Earlier this year, doctors at MUSC helped save the life of a 59-year-old Hilton Head man who contracted the rare strain of bacteria. Barry Ginn was taken to MUSC where doctors found the bacteria in his collarbone and left shoulder.

Necrotizing fasciitis, the formal name for flesh-eating bacteria, is a rare form of bacteria, but is extremely deadly. Immediate treatment is needed to avoid death.

According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine,symptoms associated with the bacteria include the following: Small, red, painful lump or bump on the skin; changes to a very painful bruise-like area and grows rapidly, sometimes in less than an hour; the center may become black and die; skin may break open and ooze fluid.

Join the Conversation! Share on Facebook!

Tags:

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus