17 reads
Leave a comment
Duke Logo

Photo by Lance King/Getty Images

When Duke basketball player Rasheed Sulaimon was dropped from the team earlier this year by Coach Mike Krzyzewski, many people questioned his reasoning. The basketball program released a statement saying he was “unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program.” But the truth behind the situation has finally come to light. According to Duke University’s newspaper, The Duke Chronicle, Sulaimon was embroiled in the middle of a sexual assault controversy — two women at the school reportedly said they were sexually assaulted by him. The women did not file a complaint with the Office of Student Conduct or the Durham Police Department. The allegations were made in 2013 and 2014, but were kept under wraps. “Nothing happened after months and months of talking about (the sexual assault allegations),” said an anonymous source. “The University administration knew. Kevin White knew, Mike Cragg knew.” Duke University has released a statement regarding the controversy: “Duke takes immediate action when a student reports allegations of sexual misconduct or other violations of the student conduct code. This includes investigation and referral to the Student Conduct Office as appropriate. The University is prohibited by federal law from disclosing information about any individual student or the student judicial process.” Head Coach Krzyzewski has not commented on the situation. Sulaimon was the first player to be released from the team during his 35-year tenure. Read more.


President Obama Hopes to Open Embassy in Cuba

President Obama hopes to move the rekindled relationship with Cuba forward. During an interview Monday, Obama expressed his desire for the United States to open an embassy in Cuba by this spring. “My hope is that we will be able to open an embassy, and that some of the initial groundwork will have been laid,” he said. “Keep in mind that our expectation has never been that we would achieve full normal relations immediately. There’s a lot of work that still has to be done. We are going down a path in which we can open up our relations to Cuba in a way that ultimately will prompt more change in Cuba. And we’re already seeing it.” According to reports, the Cuban and U.S. negotiating teams had an optimistic meeting last week, but they have yet to decide on a date for formal renewal of diplomatic relations, which were cut off 54 years ago. Read more.


Mugshot Beau Plans on Pursuing a Modeling Career

When a mugshot of Jeremy Meeks circulated around the internet last year, people were more concerned about whether or not he would start a modeling career than with the crime he actually committed. The former felon – who was referred to as the “Hot Convict” – has decided to trade in the mugshots for headshots and will pursue a career in modeling. Meeks reportedly signed with an agent, who will work with him after his sentence is completed. “I’m in a place where I will be able to provide for my family and really change my life,” he said from prison. “I never thought that everyone in the world would recognize me for my looks, so I feel extremely blessed and very thankful.” Meeks was sentenced to two years in prison on weapons charges in February, but he’s hoping to be released sooner. Read more.

comments – Add Yours