NewsOne Featured Video

Updated: March 14, 2016 7:27 PM ET

CNN reports that Maryland police officer Jacai Colson was accidentally struck by a fellow officer and not during an exchange with the gunmen who opened fired at the Landover location.

Prince George’s County officials made the announcement earlier Monday, revealing the details of the autopsy performed on Colson. The department also shared more details on the alleged shooter, Michael Ford, 22, and accomplices, brothers Elijah Ford, 18, and Malk Ford, 21.

From PGPD News:

POFC Colson, a four-year veteran assigned to our Narcotic Enforcement Division, was on his way to the police station to meet an officer. He arrived right after Michael Ford began his shooting spree. POFC Colson left his unmarked cruiser and began exchanging gunfire with the shooter. A total of four officers discharged their duty weapons while trying to stop the shooter. Two additional officers also responded, but did not fire their weapons.

An autopsy today revealed that POFC Colson was inadvertently shot by a fellow responding officer during the gun battle.

Following the ambush, Malik and Elijah Ford fled the scene. The driver, Malik, turned himself in to police at a nearby fast food restaurant shortly after the shooting spree. Elijah was taken into custody at his home in Landover shortly after his brother.

The senseless crime appears to have been an attempt by the eldest Ford to have his brothers film him being killed by a police officer. Detectives retrieved cell phone video with Ford stating his last will and testament as his brothers drove him to the station to enact the crime.

Prince George’s County Police Chief Hank Stawinski added that the shooting was unprovoked and “was about nothing” in ending statements.

A Maryland police officer just shy of his 29th birthday is dead after a gunman opened fire outside a police station in the Landover suburb in an “unprovoked” afternoon attack.

Jacai Colson, a four-year veteran of the Prince George’s County police department, “immediately stepped into action,” when the gunman opened fire around 4:30 p.m. at the District 3 Station, according to Henry P. Stawinski III, the chief of the county Police Department, who spoke at a news conference Sunday evening.

Colson returned fire, but was killed in the exchange.

“This man launched an attack on a police station and engaged several Prince George’s County police officers in a gunfight to which they responded heroically,” Stawinski said at a news conference on Sunday night outside Prince George’s Hospital Center.

Two suspects, one of whom was shot during the shootout and is recovering in the hospital, were taken into custody. The wounded suspect is believed to be the gunman, the New York Times reports. The second suspect was apprehended at a nearby Popeye’s restaurant and taken into custody for questioning.

John Teletchea, the president of the local Fraternal Order of Police, told reporters that Officer Colson was “a real cop’s cop” who had been “a very close friend.”

“Jacai had an infectious smile,” he said. “He lit up a room. He was a tremendous personality that made everybody smile and wanted to be everything to everybody.”

Gov. Larry Hogan of Maryland said in a statement on Facebook that flags in the state would fly at half-staff in honor of Officer Colson. “It is my hope that his proud legacy of commitment and passion for law enforcement and serving others will provide some comfort in the difficult days that lie ahead,” the governor said.

Police are still investigating a motive.



Clinton, Sanders Acknowledge Racism In Criminal Justice System, Ongoing Police Violence

“Donald Trump Is A Pathological Liar,” Bernie Sanders Says Of Allegations His Supporters Incite Violence