A Black teenager who was slammed to the ground by a cop at a Texas pool party in 2015 has filed a federal lawsuit for $5 million against the officer, city of Mckinney, Texas and its police department, reports The Huffington Post.
A graphic viral video sparking national outrage showed officer Eric Casebolt pulling a 15-year-old Dajerria Becton to the ground, putting his knee into her back and pulling his service weapon on two other teens, writes the news outlet:
In the lawsuit filed on Dec. 19, Becton and her legal guardian allege that Casebolt’s forceful arrest and his decision to hold the teen without probable cause violated her constitutional rights. The plaintiffs also claim that inadequate police training and a policy that “encourages officers to use force first and ask questions later” are to blame for Becton’s injuries.
The plaintiffs also claim that inadequate police training and a policy that “encourages officers to use force first and ask questions later” are to blame for Becton’s injuries.
“The City of McKinney denies the claims alleged against it and the McKinney Police Department, and as such, will vigorously defend the recently filed lawsuit,” reads a statement from the city provided to The Dallas Morning News. “McKinney prides itself in cultivating the highest standards of training and professionalism for our officers, and it strongly believes that its standards and training will withstand legal challenge.”
Becton’s attorney Kim Cole said at a news conference Wednesday that she was curious to see how the city will defend itself against what Mckinney Police Chief Greg Conley referred to as “indefensible” actions on the part of Casebolt, who resigned after the incident, reports NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth.
Celebrities React To Dallas Police Deaths
1. Kim Kardashian penned a heartfelt letter1 of 21
2. John Legend was one of the first celebrities to respond on social media.2 of 21
3. Fabolous wants his fellow celebs to stand up!3 of 21
4. LeBron James wants everyone to stop the violence.4 of 21
5. Kevin Hart challenged his celeb friends to help make a changeSource:Instagram 5 of 21
6. Halle Berry shared a photo of her son, saying, “What will my brown son’s future be? What will your brown son’s future be? The uncertainty is real. I beg you not to be a bystander in this life, but to go out and find ways to make peaceful change. Our boys need us so rather than launching into deep sentiment here on this platform, I promise to find ways to get involved and help.”Source:Instagram 6 of 21
7. Danielle Brooks wants to know: What’s going on?7 of 21
8. Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda sent a strong message.8 of 21
9. Diddy revealed that he has something huge plannedSource:Instagram 9 of 21
10. Erykah Badu spoke out on the wrongly accused shooter.10 of 21
11. Amber Rose shared an adorable photo of her son Sebastian, saying, “I woke up this morning to my beautiful son with such a heavy heart. I grabbed my baby and kissed him, hugged him, told him how beautiful his skin and hair is and let him know that one day he will be able to change the world and I will love him and accept him no matter what.”Source:Instagram 11 of 21
12. Ashanti spoke out on freedom.Source:Instagram 12 of 21
13. Boris Kodjoe wants the answers.Source:Instagram 13 of 21
14. Trey Songz ranted.Source:Instagram 14 of 21
15. Usher has a question for the people.Source:Instagram 15 of 21
16. Ms. Tina Knowles shared a pic of herself watching CNN, writing, “Oh my God ! This is horrible !! Please pray for the fallen officers, and the injured ones and their families. The violence has got to stop. Love not hate is the answer. No one has the right to take another persons life ! Not to take our black men’s lives and not police officers either. “Source:Instagram 16 of 21
17. Tyrese vented.Source:Instagram 17 of 21
18. Nick Cannon addressed the former Congressman that threatened President ObamaSource:Instagram 18 of 21
19. Demi Lovato tweeted about her home town.19 of 21
20. Kris Jenner reposted Beyonce’s postSource:Instagram 20 of 21
21. Lala Anthony shared her thoughts.21 of 21