The people of Los Angeles are blessed to have President Barack H. Obama Highway as of yesterday. The Mercury News reports, “Two large, green-and-white freeway signs were unveiled Thursday, one on the right shoulder of westbound State Route 134 at the beginning of the 210 Freeway at Fair Oaks Avenue in Pasadena, the other at the eastbound 134 in the vicinity of Route 2 in the city of Los Angeles near Glendale.”
The location was chosen because he attended Occidental College in nearby Eagle Rock from 1979-1981 when he lived in Pasadena. State Sen. Anthony Portantino said about the highway, “The president has often mentioned his fond memories of living in Pasadena and attending Occidental College, so it was very appropriate to name the portion of the freeway he traveled after him.”
Mercury News confirmed, “No taxpayer dollars were used to build or erect the signs, Bischoff confirmed, adding that the cost of the two signs and labor amounted to about $5,000 and were paid for by private donations.”
While this happened, something else trended — #TrumpResign. Yep, while people were celebrating Obama, others were asking for Trump to get off the highway of the presidency.
All of this makes us miss Obama, so we had to revisit these collection of photos to reflect when we had a man of decency in the White House.
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty
The family shows off their pearly whites in the official family photo in the Oval Office.
6. Two TermsSource:Getty
The Obama family wave to supporters during the president’s second bid for president in 2012.
7. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty
Barack and Michelle Obama walk with daughter Malia across Lafayette Park to Saint John’s Episcopal Chuch for Sunday services on October 27, 2013 in Washington, DC.
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty
During a visit to the Honolulu Zoo in Hawaii.
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty
Then-Vice President Dick Cheney stand with the Obama family during the reenactment of a swearing-in ceremony on Capitol Hill January 4, 2005, in Washington, DC.
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza
Obama embraces his daughters after before his swearing-in ceremony in 2005.
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty
Barack Obama blows out candles at his 43rd birthday party in 2004.
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza
Obama and girls enjoy some chill time.
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty
The Obama’s celebrate the presidential win at Grant Park with 150,000 supporters in 2008. Obama made history as the first African-American to hold the position of Commander-In-Chief.
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty
Barack Obama buys ice cream for his daughters Malia and Sasha at Pleasant Pops during Small Business Saturday on November 28, 2015, in Washington, DC.
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza
The first family enjoys some quality time in the Treaty Room of the White House.
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty
The Obamas take off for their first vacation away from the Oval Office.
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty
While checking out the Team USA and Brazil Olympic exhibition basketball game in 2012, the Obamas were hit with the kiss cam.
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza
The president takes his daughters to Kramerbooks and Afterwords in Washington, November 26, 2011, during Thanksgiving break.
21. Family SupportSource:Getty
The Obamas listen to Beyonce sing the National Anthem at the ceremonial swearing-in at the U.S. Capitol during the 57th Presidential inauguration.
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza
Obama watches his wife on TV at the Democratic National Convention with his girls.
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty
Malia and her father prepare food for the homeless in the D.C. Central Kitchen for Martin Luther King Jr.Day.
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty
The president and first lady are teaching their children the importance of community service.
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty
President Obama continued his tradition of supporting small businesses during the holidays by visiting Upshur Street Books in November 2015.
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty
Barack Obama boards Air Force One before departing from Los Angeles International Airport on February 12, 2016.
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty
Obama shares a laugh with his daughters after pardoning the turkeys “Honest” and “Abe” in November 2015.
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty
The Obamas celebrate Christmas in Washington before leaving for Hawaii.
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza
The family walked together with several civil rights heroes in Selma for the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday.