House Republicans will head to a hardware store in Virginia tomorrow to unveil their Pledge to America, billed as a comprehensive set of reforms along the lines of Newt Gingrich’s Contract With America in 1994. Democrats already say it’s the same-old, same-old. Politico and the Wall Street Journal hit some highlights:
- To “repeal and replace” the health care reform law, though popular parts such as making it illegal to deny coverage over pre-existing conditions would stay.
- Prevent all of the Bush tax cuts from expiring.
Share this post on Facebook! CLICK HERE:
- Freeze most hiring for the federal government.
- Give small businesses a tax break equal to 20% of their business income.
- Have weekly votes on the House floor to pick winners in the “YouCut” program, in which people make suggestions online.
- Cancel the spending of all remaining stimulus funds.
- Sample language: “Like free peoples of the past, our citizens refuse to accommodate a government that believes it can replace the will of the people with its own.”