Leave a comment

A block of shootings in Chicago left six people dead and eight others injured earlier this week, including an 11-month-old baby and a 2-year-old boy, The Chicago Tribune reports.

A pregnant woman and a grandmother were also among those killed in rash of violence that gripped the city in a 15-hour span.

During the past two weekends, 50 people were shot, the Tribune reports.

The first of those shootings occurred Monday evening when a family on their way back from an outing was gunned down in the Back of the Yards, leaving a pregnant mother and grandmother dead and three others — including an 11-month-old boy — wounded, police said.

The second multiple shooting occurred about five hours later when two men and the mother of a 4-year-old were killed and two other people were wounded near a playground in the Fuller Park neighborhood on the South Side, according to police. A sister said the woman was killed coming to the aid of a relative.

The burst of violence follows two straight weekends when more than 50 people were shot in Chicago. That’s the first time that has happened on back-to-back weekends over the four years the Tribune has been tracking shootings. In August, more than 40 were shot on four consecutive weekends.

So far this year, at least 2,300 people have been shot in Chicago, about 400 more than the same period last year, according to Tribune analysis. Preliminary data revealed Sunday that homicides have increased by 21 percent. That’s 359 murders this year, compared to last year’s total of 296.

The most recent shooting also left the mother of a 4-year-old dead at a playground, police say.

The Fuller Park shooting occurred 12:10 a.m. Thursday in the 300 block of West 42nd Street, police said. Five people were outside near a playground when two gunmen stepped from an alley and shot them, according to police.

A woman, identified by family as 22-year-old Ayanna Northern, was hit in the chest and pronounced dead at the scene.  Her relatives said she had a 4-year-old daughter.

Many of the incidents that have taken place in Chicago recently are a combination of drive-by and accidental shootings. A two-year-old was grazed by a bullet early Tuesday morning at 1:45 a.m. The alleged suspect was in a home located in the Grand Crossing neighborhood on the Far South Side playing with a gun when the boy was grazed in the leg.

He is currently listed in good condition. Police are speaking to relatives who were in the home when the shooting took place.

Deputy Chief of Detectives Eugene Roy told reporters there are currently no known suspects in Monday’s shootings.

SOURCE: Chicago Tribune | VIDEO CREDIT: Inform 

SEE ALSO: 

Indianapolis Teen Dies In Police Custody After Twice Complaining Of Trouble Breathing

Ex-Con Shoots Self In Groin, Tells Cops A Black Man Did It

Don’t Miss Our Hottest Stories! Get The NewsOne Flip App for iPhone: Flip, Skip — Or Send Us a Tip!

Also On News One:
comments – Add Yours