Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez announced no charges will be filed against a Chicago police officer who fatally shot a Black man last year.
Video of Ronald Johnson‘s shooting was released by Alvarez’s office during a press conference explaining key details of the video on Monday. The shooting happened eight days before Laquan McDonald was also fatally shot by officer Jason Van Dyke in October 2014.
Officer George Hernandez was in pursuit of Johnson, 25, who was allegedly armed with a gun. Reports stated while Johnson was fleeing the scene, he pointed a gun at Hernandez. The video, taken from the dash cam of a squad car, doesn’t show the moment Johnson was shot by Hernandez.
The Huffington Post reports:
Alvarez said following the investigation she concluded that Hernandez’s actions were “reasonable and permissible” since Johnson resisted officers and was running toward a police vehicle and a city park while they believed he was armed.
Johnson was struck by the bullets and fell face down.
Alvarez said the video didn’t have audio, therefore it was linked with zone communication from the incident.
Johnson’s mother Dorothy Holmes filed a wrongful death suit weeks after the shooting. The family’s attorney, Michael Oppenheimer, told reporters last week he believes officials are involved in a cover-up.
LaTosha Brown Is A Black Joy Blazer Who Has Dedicated Her Life To The Cause
Heart In Your Hands: Important Lifestyle Changes For Heart Failure Recovery
How To Support A Loved One Who Is Living With Heart Failure
Life In Heart Failure Recovery
NJ Airport Restaurant That David Brooks Falsely Complained About Is Black-Owned
Barbara Lee Reacts To Laphonza Butler's Appointment As Dianne Feinstein's 'Interim' US Senate Replacement
'African-American Muhammad': Did Marjorie Taylor Greene Make Up A Fake Black Trump Supporter?
'Moms For Liberty' Member Complains California School Teaches 'White People Have No Culture'