In his first 30 days as president, it cost an estimated $10 million just for the president’s three trips to his oceanfront Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Florida, the newspaper said.
The government also picked up the tab for his sons’, Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr., Secret Service security while conducting family business overseas. Meanwhile, local taxpayers are covering the ongoing expense to station police officers outside Trump Tower in Manhattan to protect First Lady Melania Trump and their son Barron, a $500,000 a day expense that New York City taxpayers hope to recoup from the federal government.
Tom Fitton, president of the conservative group Judicial Watch, told the Post that Trump “should recognize” that the way he does business is expensive. A short helicopter ride to the presidential retreat at Camp David in Maryland is far less expensive than jetting to a Florida resort.
“The unique thing about President Trump is that he knows what it costs to run a plane,” Fitton stated.
Trump’s hypocrisy is also glaring. As the Post noted, Trump repeatedly criticized former President Barack Obama for his golf outings and vacations. But Trump is on track to surpass Obama’s travel expenses, estimated at $97 million by Judicial Watch. Based on the first month of his presidency, Trump will stick taxpayers with travel expenses reaching hundreds of millions more than President Obama.
Although Trump stepped down from running his company, he’s still earning money–at the public’s expense. According to the Post, the Department of Defense and Secret Service want to rent space in Trump Tower, where it costs $1.5 million a year to lease a floor.
At the same time, his adult sons are running up the government’s tab while doing family business. The Secret Service spent $5,470 for its agents to stay at a five-star, oceanfront hotel to provide security in the Dominican Republic while Eric Trump met with developers who want to build a Trump resort on the island. And the agency’s hotel bill surpassed $16,000 when Trump’s sons did business in Dubai, the Post reported.
The newspaper also reported that Secret Service and U.S. Embassy staffers paid nearly $100,000 in hotel fees to support Eric Trump’s business trip to Uruguay.
The White House, in an interview with the Post, said the president is working–not vacationing–when he travels to Mar-a-Lago and did not address potential conflicts of interest related to family travels.
SOURCE: Washington Post
55 Photos To Make You Miss The Obamas
1. Barack gives daughter Malia a kissSource:Getty 1 of 52
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 52
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 52
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 52
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 52
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 52
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 52
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 52
9. Fun In The SunSource:Instagram 9 of 52
10. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 10 of 52
11. Hawaiian HolidaysSource:Instagram 11 of 52
12. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 12 of 52
13. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 13 of 52
14. Barack & SashaSource:Instagram 14 of 52
15. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 15 of 52
16. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 16 of 52
17. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 17 of 52
18. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 18 of 52
19. Obama & SashaSource:Instagram 19 of 52
20. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 20 of 52
21. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 21 of 52
22. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 22 of 52
23. A Family AffairSource:Getty 23 of 52
24. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 24 of 52
25. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 25 of 52
26. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 26 of 52
27. The Obamas Family PortraitSource:Instagram 27 of 52
28. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 28 of 52
29. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 29 of 52
30. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 30 of 52
31. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 31 of 52
32. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 32 of 52
33. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 33 of 52
34. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 34 of 52
35. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 35 of 52
36. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 36 of 52
37. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 37 of 52
38. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 38 of 52
39. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 39 of 52
40. Family SupportSource:Getty 40 of 52
41. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 41 of 52
42. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 42 of 52
43. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 43 of 52
44. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 44 of 52
45. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 45 of 52
46. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 46 of 52
47. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 47 of 52
48. Growing Up In The White HouseSource:Instagram 48 of 52
49. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 49 of 52
50. Malia & ObamaSource:Instagram 50 of 52
51. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 51 of 52
52. Christmas Tree LightingSource:Getty 52 of 52