Joining a number of celebrities who have questioned the allegations of more than 50 women who say Bill Cosby sexually assaulted them in the past, comedian Eddie Griffin called the fallout a “systematic effort to destroy every Black male entertainer’s image.”
“They want us all to have an asterisk by our name,” Griffin said in a video interview with hip-hop website VladTV. “Nobody leaves this business clean.”
Griffin, who stood firm by his theory that African-American men in the industry often face conspiracies meant to tarnish their careers, pointed to Kobe Bryant’s 2003 rape allegations and Michael Jackson’s child molestation trial as examples of this systemic effort. Griffin even went so far as to dismantle the drugging aspect of the allegations, saying Quaaludes were used to help people level out after cocaine use in the 1970s, when most of the sexual assaults were said to take place.
“First off you have to remember this was in the ’70s. I’m old enough to remember the ’70s. The ’70s is a different time,” Griffin said.
But in a 2005 deposition, Cosby did admit to giving Quaaludes to women he intended to have sex with.
“Did he rape these b**ches?” Griffin says, referring to the victims. “All of them said the same thing. ‘We went to the room.’ Why would you go to the room of a known married man? Number one?”
The interviewer then chimes in: “They’re down to f*ck anyways. Why would you go to a hotel room of a known married man? It’s not a secret that he’s married.”
Griffin then referenced Roman Polanski, the director previously married to the late Sharon Tate, who fled to Europe after he was convicted of unlawful sex with a minor in the ’70s. Polanski is still working.
“[Cosby] has single-handedly sent a bunch of brothers and sisters to college. Even if he didn’t pay for it himself, he gave them the idea that it was possible. And then some p***y is supposed to tear that down.”
Cosby, who has largely remained mum about the allegations, tweeted a message of thanks to his friends and fans a day after he was arrested on charges of aggravated indecent assault. The 78-year-old, whose lawyer maintains he is innocent, was arraigned on charges stemming from a 2004 incident involving former Temple University employee Andrea Constand.
The comedian is expected back in court for a hearing Jan. 14 and could face 10 years in prison if convicted.