NewsOne Featured Video

Lisette Bamenga allegedly gassed her two small children (pictured) to death and tried to take her own life in a suspected murder-suicide attempt, the New York Daily News reports.

SEE ALSO: Freeman: Obama Is Not America’s First Black President

New York Police Department officials say that they found a suicide note near the bodies of her five-year-old son and his four-month-old sister. Bamanga reportedly sealed shut the windows of her Bronx apartment with tape and plastic before turning on the gas.

Want to Keep Up With LIKE Us On Facebook!

A tenant in the building called 911 before midnight to report a gas leak. When first responders arrived at Bamenga’s apartment, they found the boy and girl unresponsive. Both were declared dead on the scene, after medics tried to revive them.

SEE ALSO: Allen West’s Runaway Slave Rhetoric

The Daily News has more:

“I saw the baby outside the building,” neighbor Randy Marcado, 44, told the Daily News.

“Legs were moving a little bit. They were giving the baby CPR.” The 29-year-old Bamenga was alive, with just minor cuts on her wrists, and she was taken to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx for treatment, police said. She was listed in stable condition.

The woman’s devastated husband, a city police officer, broke down in tears after returning home to find his apartment was now a likely crime scene.

The young father only recently joined the NYPD, and the couple moved into the apartment just two months ago. Bamenga “wasn’t very talkative,” said neighbor Vickie Montalvo. “She kept to herself. … It’s a tragedy. I’m trying to understand it, because there’s children involved.”The mom’s Facebook page indicated she was originally from Paris, and was a rabid soccer fan whose favorite player was Frenchman Thierry Henry.

WATCH a local news story on the alleged murder-suicide attempt here
A neighbor who lives below Bamenga says that the family was very quiet, but he heard loud noises on Thursday night.
“I heard loud banging. Three loud bangs, like someone was dropping something heavy on the ground.”The thumps were followed by an eerie silence. “It was quiet,” he said. “I didn’t hear anything after that.”

More from NewsOne