NewsOne Featured Video

In the latest on the death of  Renisha McBride (pictured), the 19-year-old who was shot last Saturday when she reportedly rang the doorbell of a Detroit home after surviving a car accident, police are saying the gunman claims that the gun went off accidentally.

RELATED: Detroit Woman Shot To Death Seeking Help After Car Accident

According to the Detroit Free Press, the gunman also says he shot her in the face, and not in the head, as her family has said. He told police he thought she was breaking into his home.

After McBride crashed her vehicle in the wee hours of Saturday morning, she was unable to call her family for help because her cell phone had died.  So the young woman allegedly sought help from a home near where the accident had occurred.

According to The Detroit News, the Dearborn Police Department stated in a press release that they have identified the gunman.  The release went on to mention that a final report of the case will be sent over to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office for further review. No charges have been filed yet.

McBride’s aunt, Bernita Spinks however, believes that even if her niece was an intruder, killing someone in cold blood was definitely not the route to go.   Spinks told The Detroit News, “He shot her in the head … for what?  For knocking on his door,” Spinks laments. “If he felt scared or threatened, he should have called 911.”

In the meantime, McBride’s family members met with officials from the prosecutor’s office on Tuesday to further discuss the case, as they are determined to not let the matter rest until justice is served to their satisfaction. According to Spinks, she is adamant about the fact that her niece was racially profiled.  “You see a young black lady on your porch and you shoot?” Spinks told The Detroit News.  “He killed my niece and he needs to pay for it.   He needs to be in jail. There was no window broken.  My niece didn’t bother anyone.  She went looking for help and now she’s dead.”