US. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos issued a permanent injunction against Texas’ voter ID requirements on Wednesday. After rejecting a weakened version of the law signed by Republican Gov. Greg Abbott earlier this year, Gonzales Ramos said the new version didn’t expand the list of acceptable photo identifications. He’s the same judge who threw out the bill back in 2014.
“This feature remains discriminatory because SB 5 perpetuates the selection of types of ID most likely to be possessed by Anglo voters and disproportionately, not possessed by Hispanics and African-Americans,” she wrote.
As one of the states with the strictest voter ID laws in the US, Texas has been fighting to maintain both the voter ID law and voting maps that were passed by GOP-controlled legislature in 2011. The Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said the ruling was “outrageous” and said an appeals court should void the ruling.
“The US Department of Justice is satisfied that the amended voter ID law has no discriminatory purpose or effect,” he said. “Safeguarding the integrity of elections in Texas is essential to preserving our democracy.”
This change in support runs counter to the sentiments expressed by the Obama administration, which joined Democrats and voting rights groups that challenged the law in 2011. This win demonstrates why off-year elections matter. Electing officials at various levels who appoint federal judges with the entire nation’s best interests in mind makes all the difference.
11 Reasons We Are Thankful For President Barack Obama
1. We’ll never forget the moment President Obama said Trayvon Martin could have been his son.Source:Getty 1 of 10
2. And let’s not forget President Obama was the man behind capturing and killing Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.Source:Getty 2 of 10
3. He also rejoiced when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of protecting same-sex marriage.Source:Getty 3 of 10
4. He always gets his hands a little dirty.Source:Getty 4 of 10
5. He genuinely, wholeheartedly, loves the kids.Source:Getty 5 of 10
6. Plus, he’s all about b-ball.Source:Getty 6 of 10
7. He made two of our favorite players the happiest men on Earth.Source:Getty 7 of 10
8. … And what a beautiful example for men on how to treat the ladies in your life.Source:Getty 8 of 10
9. There will never be another as suave as President Obama & for that alone, we’re thankful.Source:Getty 9 of 10
10. He gave us hope…10 of 10
Federal Judge Throws Out Controversial Texas Voter ID Law was originally published on cassiuslife.com