Bye Felisha: What You Never Knew About The Making Of ‘Friday’ was originally published on globalgrind.com
1. Chris Tucker wasn’t actually high while filming the movie.
He told The AV Club in 2007, “You can’t make a movie high” adding “I’m so glad I don’t smoke—I’d be high all the time.”
2. It was filmed in 20 days on the street where director F. Gary Gray grew up.
Gray grew up in Los Angeles on 126th street between Normandie and Halldale Avenues, reportedly a crip neighborhood. Cue, Smokey in blue.
3. The ‘Friday’ soundtrack is even more of a success than the movie.
The soundtrack debuted at number one on Billboard’s Hot 200 chart. Two years later it was certified double platinum.
4. Deebo’s role was based on a real-life crip who went by the name ‘Big U.’
Big U served 13 years in jail and then went on to become an event promoter and CEO of his own youth community program.
5. Craig starts ‘Friday’ out in the same outfit that Doughboy wore at the end of ‘Boyz N The Hood.’
Peep the black shirt, khaki shorts, and house slippers. ‘Friday’ serves as an alternate ending to ‘Boyz N The Hood.’