Leave a comment

A day after the World Health Organization declared that West Africa was Ebola-free, a new case emerged in Sierra Leone when a corpse tested positive for the virus, according to The Associated Press:

Tests on a 22-year-old woman who died earlier this month in Sierra Leone’s north proved positive for the virus, Francis Langoba Kellie, spokesman for the Office of National Security, told a local radio program.

She came from the Northern Kambia District and went to the Northern Tonkolili District for medical attention, he said. Authorities are tracing her contacts and have dispatched teams to the area for investigations. Certain areas will be quarantined, he said.

WHO declared an end to the deadliest Ebola outbreak ever on Thursday after no new cases emerged in Liberia. It had been at least two weeks since Ebola had been seen in Guinea or Sierra Leone. The three countries were most affected by the epidemic that began two years ago.

An estimated 4,000 people had died before Sierra Leone was declared free from transmission of the virus on Nov. 7. Ebola has killed more than 11,300 people, mostly in West Africa, since it re-emerged at the end of 2013.



Guinea Is Ebola-Free After 2 Years, 2,500 Deaths

Also On News One:
comments – Add Yours