On a recent episode of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, host Stephen Colbert got schooled on what white privilege really is.
Stephen, who has been regarded as the whitest person alive by Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates, had Black Lives Matter activist DeRay Mckesson on the show to talk about the movement and what exactly being “woke” really means.
The two talked about everything from Beyoncé to the counter-movement All Lives Matter.
More important, DeRay went into detail about his new movement Campaign Zero: A ten-point plan to end police violence that covers everything from police wearing body cameras to new police union contracts.
They also spoke about Stephen’s extreme wealth and status, and the two decided to switch seats to really “dismantle” the host’s white privilege.
Although the topic is a very serious issue, both DeRay and Stephen were able to jokingly help Stephen figure out the best methods to stay woke.
We have to give props to Stephen for addressing and accepting his white privilege, but also, trying to use his status to evoke change.
Watch the interview up top.
SOURCE: Vulture | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
16 Millennials To Watch In 2016
1. Evan Spiegel: Snapchat Co-Founder & CEOSource:Getty 1 of 13
2. Priyanka Chopra: Actress, Singer, & Miss World 2000Source:Getty 2 of 13
3. Adele: Soul-crushing Singer-SongwriterSource:Getty 3 of 13
4. Trevor Noah: Comedian & The Daily Show HostSource:Getty 4 of 13
5. Metro Boomin: Producer & SongwriterSource:Getty 5 of 13
6. Selena Gomez: Singer & ActressSource:Splash News 6 of 13
7. Malala Yousafzai: Activist & EducatorSource:Getty 7 of 13
8. Aziz Ansari: Actor, Comedian, & WriterSource:Getty 8 of 13
9. Michael B(ae). Jordan: ActorSource:Splash News 9 of 13
10. Drake: Rapper, Singer, Actor, & SongwriterSource:Getty 10 of 13
11. Kendall Jenner: ModelSource:Splash News 11 of 13
12. Kehlani: Singer-SongwriterSource:Getty 12 of 13
13. Zendaya Coleman: Actress, Model, & SIngerSource:Splash News 13 of 13
Activist DeRay Mckesson Helps Stephen Colbert Understand White Privilege was originally published on globalgrind.com