Leave a comment

UPDATED: Wednesday, May 3, 4 PM EST:

The Department of Justice announced Wednesday that it would not pursue federal charges against two officers in the death of Alton Sterling, who was killed nearly 10 months ago by Baton Rouge police while pinned to the ground, reports The New York Times.

Federal prosecutors concluded that the evidence against the officers, Blane Salamoni and Howie Lake II, was “insufficient to prove beyond a reasonable doubt” that they willfully violated Sterling’s civil rights, officials said in a statement.

Given the totality of the circumstances — that the officers had been fighting with Sterling and had attempted less-than-lethal methods of control; that they knew Sterling had a weapon; that Sterling had reportedly brandished a gun at another person; and that Sterling was much larger and stronger than either officer,” the statement concludes, writes The Times, “the department cannot prove either that the shots were unconstitutional or that they were willful.”

With the conclusion of the federal probe, Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry says Louisiana State Police would investigate whether to purse state criminal charges.

SOURCE: The New York Times


No Charges Expected Against Cops For Alton Sterling Shooting Death

The U.S. Department of Justice will announce as soon Wednesday that there would be no charges against two officers involved in the death of Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, Louisiana last summer, reports ABC News.

From ABC News:

Sterling’s aunt Sandra Sterling called the Justice Department’s reported decision “crazy.”

“It’s like, we waited all this time for nothing,” she said. “And as we were going through the process, I kept asking them, ‘What happens if they come back with this decision?’ … They said, ‘Well, it will be worth the wait.’ But no, it’s not worth the wait. It’s not worth the wait. All this was for nothing.”

It is unclear how and exactly when the DOJ will reveal its controversial decision, with some local schools having sent notes to parents about action plans in case of major protests, reports The Washington Post.

SOURCE: ABC NewsThe Washington Post

SEE ALSO:

Federal Judge Bars Release Of Alton Sterling Autopsy Report

Alton Sterling’s Son Makes Appearance At Teen Choice Awards In Honor Of Victims Of Gun Violence

comments – Add Yours