NewsOne Featured Video

UPDATED: 8:00 a.m. ET, Jan. 1 —

As promised Minneapolis police released the bodycam footage of a police involved fatality on Wednesday night. The shooting gained national attention, marking the first death at the hands of police since George Floyd‘s murder in May.

Police released the name of the victim, identified as 23-year-old Dolal Idd. Idd, a Black male, died of multiple gunshot wounds and the manner of death is homicide, according to a news release obtained by CNN.

In the 27-second-clip officers can be heard ordering a white car to stop at a local gas station. The car boxed in by other verhicles, then reverses before moving forward. Officers command “Hands up! Police! Hands up!” Suddenly a shot was fired, shattering the driver’s side window. An officer can be heard yelling “f–k” before firing towards the car.

The footage doesn’t show the moments leading up to the gunfire exchange or after.

Minneapolis Police Chief Chief Medaria Arradondo said Idd was pursued as a felony suspect and was killed in an exchange of gunfire with officers. Arradondo said he showed the video to Idd’s family prior to releasing the footage to the public.

In a Facebook post Mayor Jacob Frey promised to be transparent as the investigation continues, lead by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Community members are still reeling from Floyd’s death and protesters have gathered at the scene of the shooting over the past several nights.

“Rebuilding that trust will depend on complete transparency,” Frey wrote. “I am working closely with Chief Arradondo to gather all the facts surrounding what happened tonight and will be relaying that information, in coordination with State partners, to community as quickly as possible. We must all be committed to getting the facts, pursuing justice, and keeping the peace.”

Idd’s father Bayle Gelle returned to the scene of the shooting on New Year’s Eve and shared that he was unsatisfied with how law enforcement handled the family during the investigation. He claims that his family has more questions than answers after reviewing the footage.

The family launched a GoFundMe to help offset costs for Idd’s funeral.

Original story:

A man was fatally shot by Minneapolis officers on Wednesday night, marking the first police-involved death in the city since the murder of George Floyd in May, The New York Times reports. The shooting took place less than a mile away from where Floyd was killed.

Details regarding the shooting remain scarce as officials urge for calm in the face of insurmountable anguish and grief, where community members are still reeling from Floyd’s death.

“We must all be committed to getting the facts, pursuing justice and keeping the peace,” Mayor Jacob Frey said in a statement.

During a news conference, Police Chief Medaria Arradondo stated that the shooting took place around 6:15 p.m. near 36th Street and Cedar Avenue during a traffic stop. Arradondo announced that witnesses told police the man fired first, prompting officers to return fire. Footage from the shooting will be released on Thursday.

The driver’s identity and the officer’s identity are being withheld from the public. The man who was killed was driving with an unidentified woman who witnessed the shooting. Neither police nor the woman was physically harmed in the incident. Arradondo shared that the man was stopped because officers believed he committed a felony, but would not relay what specific violation occurred.

According to the Times, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension will investigate the shooting and will provide more information after the conclusion of police and witness interviews.

After details of the shooting were made public, protesters began gathering at the scene demanding transparency and accountability.

While Wednesday’s shooting is the first police-involved fatality since the murder of George Floyd, it is not the first incident to take place in the vicinity where Floyd took his last breath. In early December a video went viral showing a white officer restraining a Black man by placing his knee in his back at the corner of East 38th Street and Chicago Avenue, also known as George Floyd Square.

The man was a bystander as police say they were responding to a carjacking in the area. He reportedly suffered a dislocated shoulder.

Floyd’s untimely death reinvigorated the Black Lives Matter movement following a string of notable deaths of Black community members at the hands of police. Wednesday’s incident will undoubtedly add to the exploration of the ways law enforcement shows up in Black communities.


Minneapolis Officer Kneels On Back Of Black Man Steps Away From Where George Floyd Was Murdered

Civic Engagement-Focused Internship Program Launched In Honor Of George Floyd

Exonerated! Wrongly Convicted Black Folks Whose Names Have Been Cleared
Early Voting in DC: The Inmate Vote
31 photos