NewsOne Featured Video

UPDATE 4/17/13, 4:58 p.m.: The Boston Marathon press conference has been postponed due to the bomb scare that occurred at the courthouse this afternoon, according to the Huffington Post:

A press briefing regarding the Boston Marathon investigation was tentatively scheduled for 5:00 p.m. today at The Westin Copley Plaza, 4th Floor, 10 Huntington Avenue, Boston. The briefing is postponed,” said the statement from the FBI’s Boston field office.

“At this time, Federal and Local law enforcement agencies have responded to the reported bomb threat at the John Joseph Moakley, United States Courthouse. Media will be advised accordingly by way of a FBI news advisory when a new date/time has been established,” authorities added.

UPDATE 4/17/13, 4:24 p.m. EST: The Federal Courthouse in Boston has been given the “all clear,” according to the Huffington Post:

Authorities at the U.S. Federal Court House in Boston said there was a bomb threat but the building is now clear. Employees are being allowed back inside.


UPDATE 4/17/13, 4:12 p.m. EST: New photos of the Boston Marathon indicate that the bomb may have been hidden in a brown paper bag. Watch news coverage of the new photos that were submitted by a marathon viewer here:


UPDATE 4/17/13, 3:31 p.m. EST: The Associated Press is reporting that the U.S. Federal Court House in Boston is being evacuated due to a bomb threat:

A federal courthouse in Boston has been evacuated amid conflicting reports that a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing is in custody.

The U.S. Marshals Service in Washington says the courthouse was evacuated due to a bomb threat. Spokeswoman Nikki Credic-Barrett says authorities are conducting a security sweep.

Attorney Francis DiMento says he was in a hearing when someone came over the loudspeaker and told everyone to get out in a hurry.


UPDATE 4/17/13, 3:08 p.m. EST:  The FBI reports no arrests have been made, nor is anyone in custody.

Contrary to widespread reporting, no arrest has been made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting.


UPDATE 4/17/13, 2:46 p.m. EST: In a bizarre twist, now there are conflicting reports as to whether an individual has indeed been taken in to custody. While a federal law enforcement source maintains that someone has been arrested, CNN is now reporting that two senior officials are saying there is a “misunderstanding”:

There is conflicting information as to whether someone has been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings. A federal law enforcement source told CNN’s Fran Townsend that someone was arrested. But later, two senior administration officials and another federal official told Townsend that there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one has been arrested.


UPDATE 4/17/13, 2:30 p.m. EST: The Boston Marathon bombing suspect is reportedly being taken to South Boston’s U.S. District Court, according to the Boston Globe:

One suspect is in custody in the Boston Marathon bombing investigation, a source told the Globe this afternoon.

Two Globe sources pointed to both cellphone photos and video footage as providing the break that led to the identification of a suspect.

One source said earlier in the day that an image of a suspect carrying, and perhaps dropping, a black bag at the second bombing scene on Boylston Street, outside of the Forum restaurant.

That official said authorities may publicize their finding as early as this afternoon.


UPDATE 4/17/13, 2:16 p.m. EST: The Associated Press confirms CNN’s account that a suspect has indeed been identified and arrested:

A suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was taken in to custody Wednesday in a breakthrough that came less than 48 hours after the deadly attack, a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation said Wednesday.

The official spoke shortly after several media outlets reported that a suspect had been identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor store between the sites of the two bomb blasts, which killed three people and wounded more than 170.

The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation and spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The suspect was expected at a Boston courthouse, the official said.

A news briefing was scheduled later Wednesday.


UPDATE 4/17/13, 2:08 p.m. EST: CNN’s John King is saying that an arrest has been made.


With it being nearly three days since the Boston Marathon explosion stunned the nation, officials are now saying that they have identified a suspect, according to CNN.

RELATED: Authorities Recover Circuit Board, Pressure Cover Lid In Boston Bombing

After analyzing department store video as well as video from a Boston television station that was taping the event, authorities reportedly told CNN’s John King that they were able to make the key discovery.

Watch news coverage of the Boston bombing suspect here:

This story is developing.

Boston Marathon Explosion Photos
NewsOne Default Thumbnail
0 photos