Four teenagers from the Brownsville area of Brooklyn have been taken into custody in connection with the gang rape of an 18-year-old in New York last week.
The New York Times reports the incident occurred when a young woman was walking with her father in Osborn Playground Thursday evening. The suspects, two of them 15, one 14, and one 17, ordered the father to leave at gunpoint around 9:10 p.m. and grabbed the woman. After raping her, they took off; meanwhile, the father ran to find help.
Another suspect is currently at large.
A bodega clerk told the New York Daily News he refused to let the father use his phone to call 911 because he didn’t believe him.
The New York Daily News reports:
The Gaston deli staffer, who gave his name as Sammy, said he didn’t believe the man’s story. “He looked normal. He didn’t look nervous or desperate,” the clerk recalled. “A lot of people come here asking to use the phone. I feel bad now knowing why he needed the phone.”
The father flagged down two police officers 20 minutes later and an ambulance arrived shortly after. Two of the suspects were turned in by their parents on Sunday and two others were separately apprehended.
Mayor Bill de Blasio released a statement about the terrifying incident.
Via the New York Times:
In a statement issued on Sunday, Mayor Bill de Blasio said he was “disgusted and extremely saddened by the horrific attack.” He added, “Every New Yorker in every neighborhood deserves to feel safe and protected.”
Residents complained about the reported delay in announcing the rape to community members and the general public. The Police Department explained they needed to obtain as much information as possible before releasing the news. Osborne Park is prone to crime and countless shootings.
The victim’s mother told reporters the teen is doing fine and hopes the suspects are sent to prison. The teen was allegedly reluctant to speak to police at the time of the rape and denied treatment from the paramedics.
The investigation is currently ongoing.